The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 used ones I can get for $100 cdn.

would these still be good by todays standards? is it worth getting them? would they have much life left in them?

how hard are repairs if something goes wrong?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have personaly owned several Fluval canister filters and just retired my last one for a Chinese knock off, in my opinion these work better than the real thing, and are much cheaper. I am using the Four stage SunSun canister filter with built in 9w UV light on my 75 and it works great! I am however thinking of upgrading it to the 5 stage filter because its a couple hundred more GPH of filtration. You get some major flow from the SunSun filters, I am going to be building a spray bar for mine that runs the length of my tank to help prevent dead spots.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would never buy a knock off.. just not my style. Even more so when I am spending a lot of money on fish plants ect.

thanks for your input but I wanted more feedback on the specific model instead of redirecting me to another product.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The price is fair but there has been a lot of improvement in the last 2 generations.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It is a knock off in American slag terms as most things made in Asia, Americans, give the term "knock-off" to. , SunSun is not attempting to replicate another companies product I chose my words poorly. SunSun is a popular brand offered in Asia and is relatively new to the American market and most who have tried them find they out preform conventional brands.

That being said SunSun is an excellent product and I believe it to be far superior to Fluval and many other canister filters on the market, at a fraction of the cost. If you just want to spend more money on a name brand you are familiar with than all means get a Fluval, but if you where curious about alternative manufactures that offer a better product I would expand my search past Fluval, I have used Fluval exclusively for almost 5 years till recently when a friend loaned me an Asian made filter when one of my Fluval died. A lot of people are hung up on name brands in the aquarium hobby and should actually focus on quality and results.

In your original post you asked several questions about some used filters you found somewhere I will give you my opinion on those questions.

Would this be a good buy by today's standards?

No, given the fact that more and more brands are now being offered for sell online and in LFS in North America, there is no need to buy old out dated equipment. A lot of the products from Asian manufactures are better than some of the products most are familiar with, fish keeping and aquariums are a MAJOR hobby in Asia, not a niche like here in the states. Even if you wanted to stick with a brand you are familiar with these filters are under powered, I wouldn't use them on anything bigger than a 40g breeder.

Is it worth getting them?

To me it is not worth it unless they are free. $100 for two old filters is excessive considering you can buy a brand new filter that will outperform the 305 for around that price. Also you would be running two filters so using twice the amount of power, a misconception in this hobby is more filtration is better, most people need to increase their flow not their filtration. Also these filters are only rated at 70 gallons each, so each filter will take a little over an hour to clean your entire tank, I usually recommend your filter to be able to filter you entire tank at least twice an hour.

Would they have much life left in them?

This all depends on how the previous owner cared for their equipment, it is uncertain and hard to tell. I have a Fluval 305 that was given to me, the previous owner used it for 3 years and I used it for about 2.5 years myself and if I plugged it up today I would bet it would work because it was well cared for.

How hard are repairs?

Enough money can repair any problem. There are parts online, and range in price from $30 for a tune up package to over $100 for a new motor housing.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ended up finding a great deal on Eheim Professional 3 - 2075 Canister Filter
only 160 cdn in near mint condition with media

1 - 6 of 6 Posts