The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

A friend of mine just gave me a whole bunch of beautiful spiral vals. However, upon getting them home and putting them in a bucket I noticed a bunch of worms. Now I'm hesitant to put them in my tank. Sooo, I may have accidently dropped a few strands of moss and a couple snails in the tank from the bag before I noticed them so it's probably already too late and I don't know what to do.

All the worms have rounded heads so I'm pretty confident they're not planaria. For sure I saw a rhabdocoela crawling around the bucket. However there were a bunch of smaller ones that were dark brown in color and I'm stumped as to what they are. They move around like a flat worm, were smaller than the rhabdocoela I saw, no triangle heads, but dark brown rather than the normal white-ish. Anyone have any suggestions? Are they just younger rhabdocoela?

I'm terribly afraid I've already infected the tank. If they're harmless then I don't mind them being there. I really don't want to toss the plants because they're so healthy and nice looking. And I know vals are sensitive to a bleach soak so that's not really an option. One part of me just wants to put them in there anyway since I probably already infected it. But on the chance I didn't, I want to be cautious.

I'm attaching a picture and I've circled the worm. It was hard to get a pic because of their size. I'd appreciate any advice!

Food Liquid Ingredient Fluid Leaf vegetable

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
this picture is hard to see it in. Almost looks like a fish poop even when zoomed in. But in general, worms are good. They signafy that the tank is healthy. if it's not planaria and your friend didn't have any issues with these things; you likely will not either.

you can always look into a bleach solution and dip the plants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.