The Planted Tank Forum banner

Worm Help

1354 13
I've searched for an answer to these worms but haven't seen anything that looks like them yet... Anyone know what these little things are? Some of them like to ride my poor Nerite Snail :/ They don't appear to cause it any harm though. They can also be found attached to the glass. During water changes you can see them holding on tight by the "mouth" or rounder end and the "tail" or more tapered/pointed end is waving like a flag in the wind. I completely redid the aquascape of my live plants the other day (since there's only snails and 1 red cherry shrimp in the tank) and that meant a 98.5% water change. Whatever these are appear to be staying for now. Wondering what they are and if I should be concerned?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure where my Nerite Snail got off to, and there's no worms currently on the glass for me to measure. I would say there are tiny, but large haha Nematodes look long, thin and small. These are a short and fat. I'll see if I can't see one to size up.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I think this might actually be them. I haven't introduced anything new in ages, I have no idea how they got into the tank. Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of them? No fish, just live plants, 1 Nerite, loads of MTS, and 1 rcs.
I imagine many types of fish would eat them. I'm currently searching for a chemical solution, so far I've read fenbendazole does NOT work...that's not good.
Edit: Now I'm seeing someone say they had success using a lot of fenbendazole. This chem will kill your snails too, so not ideal.

Edit: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8.../254730-leech-infestation-my-shrimp-tank.html
You can get rid of leeches by putting some raw chopped liver in burlap or j cloth over night. It should be full of them in the morning. You have to repeat till you get no more.
Will this work with these types of leeches? Not sure. One and only post by that member, so it may or may not be that effective.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.