The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wiring diagram from fulham says to use a starter with linear lamps - is this true ? - and what is the best way to wire up the 2 f40 t12 ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got it all wired up and running - i use the T12 plant and aquarium bulbs - cant ever lay hands on them in T8 though - in my canopy i have an AH supply 2X55 driven by 1 workhorse 5 - and i experimented with the cheapo $10 walmart shoplight on the other side - blew out 2 ballasts - they ran awhile in 2Xodno - but thats why i got another workhorse 5 - i know - i coulda got another ah supply 2x55 - but this is kinda fun to soup up the lights - i am wondering - what if i series those 2 F40 t12's and then drive them with all 4 hot leads from the ballast ? would that put out more light or the same ? what if i drove 1 f40 t12 with all 4 leads ? on my next canopy build i am gonna do something like that - and for a reflector i am gonna have some mirror glass cut to size and use that - stuff a bunch of 4 foot t12 f40 plant and aquarium bulbs under there - drive each one with its own ballast - yeah - its the tim allen thing - more power - hahahahahaahah

·
Registered
198 Posts
The work horse ballasts wont over drive your bulbs. I wouldnt waste my time or money on the mirror because all it will do is bounce the light around in the canopy. I would switch over to T-5's with individual reflectors if you want to increase your light intensity and if you really want to push some par to the bottom get a Ice Cap Ballast and that will OD your 54 watt bulbs to about 80 watts and come close to off the shelf average 250 watt MH's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts