The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have two of the aluminum work lights with 23watt CFL's in them over my 10g. I have a normal glass lid with the plastic strip in the middle so you can open the lid.

The light sits right on the plastic piece and I was wandering if it could melt?

The plastic does get hot, you can touch it but it's not comfortable to leave your hand there.

Should I worry?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It it doesn't harm the plastic immediately it will certainly harm it over a fairly short period of time. I think it is essential to have an inch or so of clearance when using those reflectors, both to keep the bulb cool and to prevent damaging the top of the tank.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It it doesn't harm the plastic immediately it will certainly harm it over a fairly short period of time. I think it is essential to have an inch or so of clearance when using those reflectors, both to keep the bulb cool and to prevent damaging the top of the tank.
How would you suggest raising them without hanging them from the roof?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can raise the lights several ways. Probably the best looking way is to use a bent conduit bar above the tank, with the lights hanging from that. They are light enough to hang by the electric power cord. Another way would be to use two strips of wood resting on the tank, with the reflectors resting on them. Still another way would be to use spring clips, like:

Use 3 around each reflector to act as legs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts