The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and my heater crapped out. Was really new to. It was 6:00 am on my way to work and I did my morning tank check.
The tank went from 78 to 65 over night. It just decided to stop working.
So since it was new I decided to plug my old heater back in since it was actually STILL IN THE TANK. I never removed it because I used them both for a while until I was comfortable with the new one.

Well I plugged it in, the light came on and then promptly SHUT OFF!
Well I knew it was set low because when I started to tranisition to the new heater I turned the other one down low until I decided to cut it off fully.
I reached in to turn the knob and POP it just came off!!!!!!

Luckily I had the very first heater we had with the tank kit itself (which now ONLY consists of the tank since everything else has been changed) and dug it out to use.

Moral of the story..... ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP FOR YOUR BACKUP!

:wink2:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Better yet, have 2 heaters installed and operating at all times, each with sufficient wattage to handle the water volume. Although I have a sump, I keep both heaters 1/4 in from each end in the main tank in case the sump pump shuts off.

If one heater craps out, the other should maintain temperature. You may not even notice that one went down if you don't check often or that one is on constantly, assuming the units have pilot lights.

Did any fish head off to the big pond in the sky?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

:wink2:
I totally agree. I have many tanks and usually keep two heaters on either side of each tank. The fish will hang out next to the working heater when one fails. And they do fail. Strangely, I've rarely had the inexpensive heaters fail. But I've lost many of the fancier, electronic readout types. So I don't put that much money in them any more. Just my personal experience.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Better yet, have 2 heaters installed and operating at all times, each with sufficient wattage to handle the water volume. Although I have a sump, I keep both heaters 1/4 in from each end in the main tank in case the sump pump shuts off.

If one heater craps out, the other should maintain temperature. You may not even notice that one went down if you don't check often or that one is on constantly, assuming the units have pilot lights.

One issue with that is if a heater fails on it will cook your tank. It is often suggested to have two heaters, each with half the wattage needed to warm your tank, so if one fails on you can't overheat the tank. If one fails off you still have a backup heater that will keep your tank from dropping to low.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand heaters?

one was PTC the other was AquaTop (which I have used before and like). Both off Amazon

Bump:

I am actually going to do that on my 55. All fish are alive and happy

·
Registered
206 Posts
One issue with that is if a heater fails on it will cook your tank. It is often suggested to have two heaters, each with half the wattage needed to warm your tank, so if one fails on you can't overheat the tank. If one fails off you still have a backup heater that will keep your tank from dropping to low.
So you are saying that with two heaters, the chances double that one will fail "on" and cook your tank? This is true. But then again, any single heater if powerful enough to heat the tank could also cook it. Perhaps I am lucky, I never had that happen in all of my years keeping tanks. BTW, I did slightly downsize the two heaters for budget reasons, but not by 50%.

I see your logic.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
So you are saying that with two heaters, the chances double that one will fail "on" and cook your tank? This is true. But then again, any single heater if powerful enough to heat the tank could also cook it. Perhaps I am lucky, I never had that happen in all of my years keeping tanks. BTW, I did slightly downsize the two heaters for budget reasons, but not by 50%.

I see your logic.
I don't actually use this method yet but I do need to order some smaller heaters to replace my one larger heater. This is one instance where having a sump is handy. Also you are safer even without going down by 50% as long as one heater cannot heat the tank by itself. If one fails the other will turn of.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
You could also put a temperature controller on the tank to prevent the cooking of your fish. I just finished a DIY one for $27. Peace of mind for less than the cost of another heater. Plus, with the digital read out on it, it is much easier for me to tell if one of the heaters dies and the tank is getting cold.

Ben

·
Registered
206 Posts
You could also put a temperature controller on the tank to prevent the cooking of your fish. I just finished a DIY one for $27. Peace of mind for less than the cost of another heater. Plus, with the digital read out on it, it is much easier for me to tell if one of the heaters dies and the tank is getting cold.
Ben, any link to your project. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Ben
Just built one of these the other day, very happy so far. The build could have been a little cleaner but I was working with what I had on hand and I wanted 2 hot and 2 cold plugs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
went and bought a nice fluval E series with LED temp read outs..... WHAT GARBAGE!!!!
Going back today!

Thing barely kept the tank at temp nevermind heated. Gotta get a good heater because in about 3 weeks Im away on vaca for a week and wont be around!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've have 2 reasonably priced 150W Aqueon that so far have been reliable. I am ordering the temp controller as a fail safe because if I am going to cook fish, it will be Salmon or Tuna.

Bump: I've have 2 reasonably priced 150W Aqueon that so far have been reliable. I am ordering the temp controller as a fail safe because if I am going to cook fish, it will be Salmon or Tuna.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.