The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some ohko stones for my hardscape but also want to mix in some branches/fallen tree typenof look. I was looking into getting manzanita braches, but i know there can be fungus and other annoyances with these things. This will be my first ever planted/aquascape aquarium and wasn't sure what type of wood is typically best for this! Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Manzanita wood work's well.
Can boil small pieces in a pot of water to help prevent the fungi that sometimes appears on not only the manzanita wood, but other wood's like Mopani and Malaysian wood.
Boiling the wood can also reduce tannin's released by the woood which gives the aquarium water a tea stained look.
Neither the fungi or the tannin's are harmful to fishes ,just unsightly for some folk's.
I have found that snail's and shrimp's seem to like the fungi which usually disappears of it's own accord after a few week's if wood was too large for me to boil.
Tannin's released are minimal with boiling, but still leach into the tank in small degree for some time.
Fishes do not mind the tannin's as mentioned, and the tannin's can create a nice black water look to the tank.
Tannin's might reduce light penetration by 10 to 20 % but most folk's could easily stand to lose this much without issues whether they know it or not.
Too little light is seldom the issue for many.
Go ahead and get the wood,soak it in a tub for a few day's,then boil it in large stock pot if it is not too large and you'll have less issues with fungi or tannin's.IMHO

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback and advice! I think I will go ahead and order the manzanita branches.
I also liked the look of the ghostwood but thought that might be too bulky as I would like the main focal point to be the stones. I doubt the tannins will bother me much if any, as long as it's not too dark.I too think it will just mimic nature. I will definately be boiling the wood before, Just was nervous about these fungi and algae bloom problems that I read so much about.
I have been trying to read and gather as much information about all aspects of planted aquariums and aquascapes, sometimes too much information and contradictions are available and can be overwehlming!! Might just be over thinking some things I guess! It has taken months, and I am sick of lookong at this empty aquaroum, But the wood will be the last piece of the puzzle before I finally start playing with my scape ideas!!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and advice! I think I will go ahead and order the manzanita branches.
I also liked the look of the ghostwood but thought that might be too bulky as I would like the main focal point to be the stones. I doubt the tannins will bother me much if any, as long as it's not too dark.I too think it will just mimic nature. I will definately be boiling the wood before, Just was nervous about these fungi and algae bloom problems that I read so much about.
I have been trying to read and gather as much information about all aspects of planted aquariums and aquascapes, sometimes too much information and contradictions are available and can be overwehlming!! Might just be over thinking some things I guess! It has taken months, and I am sick of lookong at this empty aquaroum, But the wood will be the last piece of the puzzle before I finally start playing with my scape ideas!!

Good for you!
Just be sure not to leave anything boiling unattended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.