The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have kept shrimp in the past so I do have some knowledge to the different species and their requirements. The problem I have is this.

I need a filter that provides enough current for wood shrimp to feed whilst not sucking up baby cherry shrimp.

I currently have a sponge filter attached to an air pump. It looks like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jFgwfTaKL._SY300_.jpg
I'm lead to believe that these are the best filters for breeding cherry shrimp as they sponge based and provide a more gentle current - but that's where the wood shrimp suffer. I'm concerned that my wood shrimp wouldn't survive with a filter of this nature as the current it produces is so gentle.

Does anyone keep wood shrimp alongside cherry shrimp that are breeding successfully? What filter setup do you have?

Thank you.
Chris

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Get something you can hook a powerhead to. I use this: ATI Hydro Sponge Filter #2 powered by an Aquaclear 20 powerhead. Its in a 10 getting moved to a 20. I am actually also moving to this sponge: ATI Filter Max #2

I only have cherry shrimp but they breed like mad in my tank with that setup. Maybe a similar setup would achieve what you want.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Exactly what you want. I am moving away from a sponge with a base which is what I use now. I seem to have more mobility without the weight of the base hanging off of it. Works well in my setup. I would say I am happy with the hardware I am using which is ati sponges and aquaclear powerheads. But whatever you like will work.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, the ones thedood mentioned are great. Make sure to get the exact ones he mentioned. Don't get the reticulated sponge versions such as the ATI Hydro PRO or the ATI Filter Max #3, as I have heard people find tiny shrimplets can still get through them.

But any fine pore sponge should work.

Wood shrimp should not harm anything. They are filter feeder/fan shrimp, so do feed particulate foods (like crushed up flakes). By the way, they can actually grab at food on the floor, although they prefer to open their fan mitts towards a incoming current/potential flow of incoming food particles.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Great point @WaterLife. I have the ati filtermax 3 as a prefilter on my 75 which has a small shrimp population a few of which are berried. I just bought the 2 version of that filter for that reason. I can tell you from having the filter max 3 and a 10g full of baby shrimp that I could see shrimp being able to get through the pores on the coarser sponge. Go with the fine pore for sure. The fine pore will filter better anyway although it will need cleaned more often. Mine goes about a month before the flow slows if I dont clean it. That is in a shrimp/snail only tank with only pellets being fed, no flake which I think makes a difference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't have wood shrimp but would think I could keep them. I just added cherries to my 75g. I have an FX5 running full bore with panty hose stretched over the intake. There are areas of current but also areas that remain calmer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. So basically, a powerhead would suck up the fry but as we are putting a sponge on it, this is not an issue. Does anyone find a lack of current produced when attaching a sponge or is it still fairly powerful? Are there any advantages of having a sponge filter with a base as opposed to not?
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took apart that sponge filter you are currently using and used 1 of the filters and modded it to be a pre filter for my canister filter. Best prefilter ever and I only have to clean it once a month in dirty tank water and I only clean my canister once every 8-10 months now.

The best part is the shrimp like to eat the stuff off of it so they clean it for me.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. So basically, a powerhead would suck up the fry but as we are putting a sponge on it, this is not an issue. Does anyone find a lack of current produced when attaching a sponge or is it still fairly powerful? Are there any advantages of having a sponge filter with a base as opposed to not?
Thanks
The only time my powerhead loses flow is when the sponge is getting clogged. In a shrimp only tank I find I clean it in used tank water during a water change every two weeks to a month keeps the flow nice. Powerheads are used with under-gravel filters so that tells you the suction they have.

As for the base that's personal preference. Some may want it on the bottom of the tank sucking directly off of the substrate and in that case go with a base and attach the powerhead to the side of the glass with the suction cup hanger and the whole unit resting on the floor of the tank. I run my tanks almost sealed at the top so I use the aeration feature/venturi which works better when up high. In my case I want mine hanging off the tank lip and the base just adds weight hanging there so I dont want the base.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand. I'd prefer a filter without the base too but can't actually seem to find any without a base. What should I be googling to find one? I'm looking online for a powerhead and sponge filter without base. I only have a 30 litre tank with a wood shrimp and going to get a few cherry and that will be it. What sort of power/size powerhead and sponge filter combination should I be using?
Thanks guys.

When using a sponge filter in this way, what is done with the airline in valve?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would look at these for that size tank: AQUael FILTER FAN MINI Plus

Bump:
When using a sponge filter in this way, what is done with the airline in valve?
I have mine hooked up but I have a tight fitting lid. It dopes slow the flow down. I have been looking for mini pumps that would fit your tank better.

Bump: I'm rethinking that Aquael as they seem hard to find.

Check these out: Fluval U Series Underwater Filter
The U1 will fit the bill for your needs. At 65gph it should fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,
I've been having a think and look around for powerheads that I can use with a sponge filter. Does anyone know what power powerhead I would need to use for a tank as small as mine? It's only 30 litres. I'm also keeping in mind that a lot of the current will be lost as it will be attached to a sponge filter? Is something like 200 l/h okay or should I be looking for a higher power powerhead?
If anybody has done this and has any advice that would be great.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.