The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be building a stand for my 10g tank and I'm looking for a calculator of some sort that finds the amount of wood needed to build your project.

thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've never seen a calculator for that, I'm not saying there isn't one I have just never seen one. If you post up your plans and tell us what wood you are wanting use I (or someone else) could help you out. I would also need to know what sizes of wood you have available, what you can fit in your vehicle and what tools you have to work with. Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
http://www.garf.org/Tank/BuildStand.asp

honestly find the height you want the stand, then find out how wide does it have to be. Then decide on wood, probably 2x3. Then decide if you want to cover it with a skin etc.

I had fun building mine, it was for my nano 12 gallon but i overbuilt it hehe. It consisted of 4 2x3's, 4 sheets of 1/4 mdf to wrap it with, and some 3/4 pine for the base and the top.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The amount of wood required depends entirely on the design of the stand, and there are several different designs that can be used. I am near completing a 65 gallon tank stand made from a single sheet of 4 x 8 3/4 MDF, with a few other odds and ends. But, if that were a different design it would have required several feet of 2 x 3, or a couple of sheets of 3/4 plywood, or a mix of solid hardwood and hardwood plywood, etc. So, the first step is to pick a design.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i am going to be building a stand for my 55 gallon here in the next few weeks and its going to take about 4 2"x4"x8' not going to bother to skin it i did that with my last stand and it just to to long. plus i don't have all the tools to do it right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i will be building a stand for a future 5, 10, or 20gal not sure yet.

i like the one i saw that had the metal brackets but was wondering if 2x2 would be big enough for these smaller sizes?

thanks

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
2 x 2 might work for a 10 gallon, but I would not trust 2 x 2 by itself, really, and certainly not for the larger tanks. As a frame that supports plywood or other sheet material, OK.

Much better to go with larger lumber for the larger tanks.
I use 2 x 4, and make open stands. Pretty much a cube of 2 x 4s, with center brace for anything 4' long+. A diagonal 2 x 4 creates the triangular stability.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2x2 is more than strong enough as long as it is sheated with plywood. the staggered grain direction of plywood gives it multi directional strength, as long as you make sure it is glued and screwed to the 2x2's at about 6"on-center

·
Registered
142 Posts
2 x 2 might work for a 10 gallon, but I would not trust 2 x 2 by itself, really, and certainly not for the larger tanks. As a frame that supports plywood or other sheet material, OK.

Much better to go with larger lumber for the larger tanks.
I use 2 x 4, and make open stands. Pretty much a cube of 2 x 4s, with center brace for anything 4' long+. A diagonal 2 x 4 creates the triangular stability.

my apologies i did not see that part of your sentence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts