The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it might be interesting to see what some of the nationwide low temps are and if anyone has any good stories.

Grand Rapids Michigan....-8 degrees with a -20 windchill!!!! salt will not melt most of the ice on the ground. I managed to get my truck stuck in 2 snowbanks, in about 10 minutes. Talk about your good morning!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
It was 62° yesterday here in Portland. Sunny and everything. If I was feeling better I would have mowed the yard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHA ...."Orygun" like "Anold" would say it :)
It seems that everything here is shut down so I will be catching up on reading your guide Rex! After that maybe ill go try and build an igloo like I have always wanted!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
The boiler in my office building went out this morning, so I'm sitting here with a coat on shivering and trying to soak up heat from my computer. It was -2 on the way into work, and I'm sure the windchill is something even nastier.

I wore lots of layers today - that always helps.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Its about 10 degrees here supposed to be 18 later but with the windchill it feels way less. + i'm sick thats why i'm not at school.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We almost broke zero this weekend, with our highest temperature recorded at the house -5.9*F at 4:01PM on Saturday. Lowest temperature was sometime last night or Saturday night, where it probably broke -20*F. Windchills have been negative 30 to 50, I think the airport hit -57*F windchill last night.

But life goes on! Dress warm, cover your face, don't stare into the wind, and hope metro transit is on time. I love University life in a cold climate. :)

Marty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well...here in Green Bay currently -10 with windchill down to -45

My diesel Jetta currently is in the driveway out of commission with a battery charger on it. At least I get to work from home today. :)

-Scott

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
ehh, I think it was in the 50s and 60s over the weekend. Not bad. My wife and I were trimming bushes in our backyard down to nubs on Saturday, b/c our yard is mostly dead/brown now from the frost we had. We worried that our oranges would freeze and be ruined, but not so :) A few weeks ago, we had a good run of cold weather with temps getting down to the mid/low 20s, perhaps a little less on some nights. We have our house set to about 66, but our heater went out twice in the last month, so hopefully no more...
I know its not like, say, Chicago, Green Bay or any other c-o-o-o-l-d city, but its cold enough for me. If I can't comfortably go outside without wearing a sweatshirt and other heavy clothing, its no fun. I'm used to t-shirts and shorts ;)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
9 with windchill of 0. not as bad as some parts or whats its been here. i have been wearing long underware pretty much constantly, school isnt very warm either. oh well..looks like after this week its gonna start warming up down here atleast

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi

My son started crying when he walked out side because it was so cold. So i kept him home from school. it -4 and with the wind chill it's -17 below.

My son is 4 years old and this is his first time that it is really really cold. Poor guys got to get used to though.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
The boiler in my office building went out this morning, so I'm sitting here with a coat on shivering.
Jen, I'm serious, you should go home and demand pay for that day.
legally there is no reason you should be expected to work under
such office conditions unless you normally work outdoors. your
employer's a pig for not sending everyone home till the heats on.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
IT IS WIND CHILL -8 HERE AND I AM SITTING UNDER AN AC VENT SHIVERING ON MY TRADING FLOOR....BRRRRRRRRRRRR
I have on my down coat lol

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Current 1 degree here, -15 with the windchill. It was close to -25 windchill when I went to class this morning. That was an annoyingly cold walk.

I've had the furnace on all day and can't get the damn apartment above 68 degrees. Stupid concrete walls and crappy windows.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went out to start my truck this morning in shorts and a tank top when it was -8 hahaha that was dumb..... talk about your uncomfortable breeze up the shorts!!! not to mention the uh.....afformentioned snowbank ordeal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just went outside to check my battery charger that I just purchased this morning and the negative terminal clamp broke in two from the cold. Oh well....had to keep the jumper cables on for 45 minutes from my g/f's car to get it jumped(it's a diesel) so now it finally running.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am now discovering all the areas where the windows in my apartment are not sealed correctly!

It is not too bad, until that Chicago wind blows, and my nose and fingers almost fall off. Oh going to my volunteer job on Wednesday is not going to be fun, for i park near where Meigs Field used to be and walk along a frozen lake front. I am just so glad i dont have to walk to the bus this year and go downtown to classes- go go graduated!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts