The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:

So i have a couple of plant books, but they are not complete. I was given these three plants by folks who had no idea as to what they are which didn't help.

Was told this was a banana plant...its definitely not:

Assuming this is a ludwigia of some kind? It grows really quickly, has a green/red coloration.

This one I have no idea. This is a baby plant, from what I've seen in the tank i got it from it gets about 8 inches tall, has roundish leaves with white veins

Thanks for the help, sorry, i know ID'ing from photos can be a task, folks like to ask these questions in the rainbowfish forum and it can be v. difficult to give anyone anything solid, but suggestions on any other places i can go to figure these plants out if no one can say what they are from the pics would be appreciated!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I still question the banana plant though. At full grow out this plant goes to the surface, almost like a lily. It never produces bananas, and I have had much larger plants of this than the one pictured. I had a large one in my 90 and it would take up about 1/4 of the tank on its own if i let it. It will produce a distinct root structure above the surface, sending out roots the first inch or two above the surface that are straight and thin, and definitely not 'bananas'. Looks a bit like a mangrove at the base in terms of structure. Its been grown under high light, CO2, potting soil substrate and additional ferts. If it was going to produce bananas, it should have had the requirements to do it.

I have seen banana plants before too, this plant is more delicate. The banana seems to be a more stout plant, this is much more spindly and delicate, and from what i have seen a lot lighter green too.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yea, Banana plant or a Nymph Taiwan.
Banana plants loose their bananas and I've never had mine 'grow' any.

If you pinch off a leaf of N Taiwan, it will keep growing and put out roots. Never seen Bananas do that, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I still question the banana plant though. At full grow out this plant goes to the surface, almost like a lily. It never produces bananas, and I have had much larger plants of this than the one pictured. I had a large one in my 90 and it would take up about 1/4 of the tank on its own if i let it. It will produce a distinct root structure above the surface, sending out roots the first inch or two above the surface that are straight and thin, and definitely not 'bananas'. Looks a bit like a mangrove at the base in terms of structure. Its been grown under high light, CO2, potting soil substrate and additional ferts. If it was going to produce bananas, it should have had the requirements to do it.

I have seen banana plants before too, this plant is more delicate. The banana seems to be a more stout plant, this is much more spindly and delicate, and from what i have seen a lot lighter green too.
Banana plants do produce lilly like leaves and ive never had any regrow bananas when they fall off

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yea, Banana plant or a Nymph Taiwan.
Banana plants loose their bananas and I've never had mine 'grow' any.

If you pinch off a leaf of N Taiwan, it will keep growing and put out roots. Never seen Bananas do that, but not sure.
No, Banana plants do the same thing. I've done it before with mine and it works.

However, I've always wondered what causes a banana plant to grow the bananas. I know they are for nutrient storage, but does only an original plant get to have banana's or will roots grow into bananas over years of time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts