The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 20L next to my bed. 20 minutes after getting up the lights turn on from a timer. i tend to watch each of my tanks for a few minutes after the lights turn on, and today i saw something i never expected to see. a pair of HQR were showing obvious spawning behavior, though to verify i did quick searches online and they still pointed to the obvious. as i was checking between the tank and my computer, i saw the female swim upside down and rub against the underside of one of the leaves, with the male right behind and "curling" around as they both shaked.

i'm at school right now, i dont get home until 4:30~, but im extremely excited and confused. don't you need very specific requirements for HQR to breed? were mine just paired up and showed the behavior, but their eggs will turn infertile? after ~30 minutes i noticed the female was significantly smaller (all her eggs dropped??), so something did happen in my tank.

i moved the HQR into the 20L this sunday, ph is ~7.4, i dont know the kh or gh

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
They're supposed to only spawn in acidic water, so I'm slightly confused that your harlequins managed to spawn. However, I would advise moving the eggs promptly if you want to rear them, since like most cyprinids Harlequins will not hesitate to eat their progeny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts