The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, i'm at wits end with an ongoing.. for over a year now issue with either Green Spot Algae or Green Dust Algae, not entirely sure what it is... Please Help :(

The Technical Bits...

The tanks around 400 litre, very tall (75cm from Lights to Substrait) running 4x 39w T5HO Tubes. Which i normally only run 2 tubes for 6-7 hours a day.

Only trying to grow around 8-9 seperate anubias plants. I want to see growth before i concider more plants.

CO2 is bang on, drop checker is only just on the turn from green to yellow.

Tank is sumped

Nitries, ammonia and Nitrates all 0.

Dosing Once Daily with a mix of the following. (5ml in the evening)

N 1.33%, P 0.12%, K 3.88%, Mg 0.39%, B 0.01%, Cu 0.002%, Fe 0.11%, Mn 0.02%, Mo 0.002%, Zn 0.01%.

So i've had this problem for almost a year... In this time i've gone from No CO2 to CO2 injected. T8 Lights to T5HO. Photoperiods from 5 hours to 8 hours. Dosing and Not Dosing. 30%, 20%, 10% weekly water changes. You name it, i've tried it and not once has it in anyway changed the Algae problem.

It appears within a week. I tend to clean on the Sunday and by the following sunday it looks like it does in the photos.

Please someone help as i really am on the verge of ripping the tank down and buying a new one. I'm almost sure this tank is cursed. I've never managed to get any substaintial plant growth even with the above and most plants i have put in get covered in algae and die.. the only things that thrive in there are my many clown loach.

I've had planted tanks in the past which grew like the bomb so i'm not convinced this is my knowledge failing me.

Thanks in Advance :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Everyone, i'm at wits end with an ongoing.. for over a year now issue with either Green Spot Algae or Green Dust Algae, not entirely sure what it is... Please Help :(

The Technical Bits...

The tanks around 400 litre, very tall (75cm from Lights to Substrait) running 4x 39w T5HO Tubes. Which i normally only run 2 tubes for 6-7 hours a day.

Only trying to grow around 8-9 seperate anubias plants. I want to see growth before i concider more plants.

CO2 is bang on, drop checker is only just on the turn from green to yellow.

Tank is sumped

Nitries, ammonia and Nitrates all 0.

Dosing Once Daily with a mix of the following. (5ml in the evening)

N 1.33%, P 0.12%, K 3.88%, Mg 0.39%, B 0.01%, Cu 0.002%, Fe 0.11%, Mn 0.02%, Mo 0.002%, Zn 0.01%.

So i've had this problem for almost a year... In this time i've gone from No CO2 to CO2 injected. T8 Lights to T5HO. Photoperiods from 5 hours to 8 hours. Dosing and Not Dosing. 30%, 20%, 10% weekly water changes. You name it, i've tried it and not once has it in anyway changed the Algae problem.

It appears within a week. I tend to clean on the Sunday and by the following sunday it looks like it does in the photos.

Please someone help as i really am on the verge of ripping the tank down and buying a new one. I'm almost sure this tank is cursed. I've never managed to get any substaintial plant growth even with the above and most plants i have put in get covered in algae and die.. the only things that thrive in there are my many clown loach.

I've had planted tanks in the past which grew like the bomb so i'm not convinced this is my knowledge failing me.

Thanks in Advance :crying:
YOu may receive different responses, but there are a few things that stand out from what I can gather above. One is nothing but slow growing plants and only a few of them from what I see. The other issue is your nitrate, phosphate is also zero, which is not sufficient, especially with CO2 injection. I would increase nitrate and phosphate (maybe with a separate solution or dry dosing) and consider some inexpensive fast growing plants in the meantime. Trace elements from what you dose will likely be sufficient, but you may possibly need more iron from a separate supplement. The lighting may or may not be too much, as it is difficult to tell without measurement. I would still look to reduce it down to, say, 3 lamps if that is possible, at least while you troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Agree. Anubias adore phosphate and GSA gets weak with lots of phosphate, double up on that for sure. I took a couple gallons of Anubias Nana out of my tank a year after I glued down a bunch of 1.5" rhizomes. You cannot be giving them enough NPK+M for good growth if you are using CO2. These plants look really sickly.

If you have moved since having success with planted tanks in the past maybe the water is too soft? GH booster is essential in my moderately low GH tank, mostly Mg but snails look better with Ca so might as well do it all. Trick is any change for better or worse happens very slowly with Anubias. Stems show you within a week if you are on the right track, Anubias take more like a month.

I'd keep the tank lit for 6 hours a day but I'd shade it. Preference would be with floating stems like pennywort and hornwort rather than actual floaters as they are much neater or put a layer of window screen material as shade cloth between lights and water. GSA is yummy but hard for SAE and barbs to eat, any plecos, otos or snails in there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice, from the tests i've done to compare water from when i moved. The water here is heavy in phosphates, off the chart on my test kit. The water here is also very hard, i've not a hardness test but areas around London have very hard water. We would struggle to keep discus happy without RO here.

i agree about the anubias, they are very sickly. The fish dont help, they seem to love eating the new leaves leaving the old ones with chew marks.

limited on snails i can use as the loaches would gobble up anything i introduce. My SAE's are troopers and do their best leaving marks in the algae but just not enough to combat it.

i've been cursed since i moved and been unable to get a planted tank off the ground. Must be something about the water here... When i started i filled the tank with loads of plants to see what took off and settled but none did and most died even with ferts and co2, increasing the light didnt help then either.

My only Theory is due to the backing being mirrored it picks up any natural light coming into the room.

No Plecos in there, i've not had luck with using them to get algae down in the past but would consider anything, it seems to much for even them to solve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
thanks for the advice, from the tests i've done to compare water from when i moved. The water here is heavy in phosphates, off the chart on my test kit. The water here is also very hard, i've not a hardness test but areas around London have very hard water. We would struggle to keep discus happy without RO here.

i agree about the anubias, they are very sickly. The fish dont help, they seem to love eating the new leaves leaving the old ones with chew marks.

limited on snails i can use as the loaches would gobble up anything i introduce. My SAE's are troopers and do their best leaving marks in the algae but just not enough to combat it.

i've been cursed since i moved and been unable to get a planted tank off the ground. Must be something about the water here... When i started i filled the tank with loads of plants to see what took off and settled but none did and most died even with ferts and co2, increasing the light didnt help then either.

My only Theory is due to the backing being mirrored it picks up any natural light coming into the room.

No Plecos in there, i've not had luck with using them to get algae down in the past but would consider anything, it seems to much for even them to solve.
Okay, then you simply won't have to add as much phosphate, but you will certainly need more nitrate--and plants. Without competition, increasing these will leave a niche for algae. With good planting, even with high nutrients, algae growth will be low to negligible, especially with herbivorous inhabitants. Just be sure you get other plants tolerant of hard water (what are your hardness parameters?) As in kathyy's advice, keep light lowered, photoperiod reduced, get more plants and make sure they have what they need first. Then address what algae comes after that by tweaking what you will already have in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.