The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who frequent AAPE, this will look decidedly familiar. I posted many of these pics on there several months ago when I set this tank up. Oh yeah, I'm new here, and this is one of my tanks :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Nice tank! that stand looks really nice, I think i've seen a couple people around here who have the same one as well. I like the way you hooked up your lights, they look neatly put together.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sweet!!!!!!!!!
I like your DW setup.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your tank's got some potential. I like the way you positioned the wood. Are you planning on adding some sort of moss into your tank? Where'd you get your light hanger from? It's truly unique.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow! Nice and clean! Looks like you've got a nice house too...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kindness! As far as moss goes, I just added some fissidens (sp?) to several of the wood pieces, hopefully it will fill out nicely. The hangers are actually garden hangers for hanging plants that I found at lowes. I just drilled a hole in each one to hang the light from. There are two reasons that I chose them; I wanted to remove as much hardware from the tank as possible (no standing lights, internal co2 diffuser, etc.), and I have several wrought iron features/decoration in the immediate vicinity of the tank. My main goal with this tank was to integrate it as a furniture/art item into my living room. Filipnoy85 - thanks!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I have several wrought iron features/decoration in the immediate vicinity of the tank.
well, then I guess it makes sense. I was puzzled why you would go to all that expense of a rimless seamless tank with glass in/out let against a white wall, only to ruin it with those iron hanger straps going down the wall.

Fissidens on the wood is a brilliant idea, as it eventually sticks better than most mosses, and the larger leaf detail will show well in such a wide open scape. I'm going to use Fissidens on my Manzanita wood twigs, and tie it down with clear .2mm fishing line. I just hope it does not take forever to fill in, or watch my algae eaters pick at it too often. they have not attacked my Xmas moss, so I'm hopeful they'll ignore my Fissiden too.

what algae & debris clean up crew are you planning on using in your tank?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, then I guess it makes sense. I was puzzled why you would go to all that expense of a rimless seamless tank with glass in/out let against a white wall, only to ruin it with those iron hanger straps going down the wall.

Fissidens on the wood is a brilliant idea, as it eventually sticks better than most mosses, and the larger leaf detail will show well in such a wide open scape. I'm going to use Fissidens on my Manzanita wood twigs, and tie it down with clear .2mm fishing line. I just hope it does not take forever to fill in, or watch my algae eaters pick at it too often. they have not attacked my Xmas moss, so I'm hopeful they'll ignore my Fissiden too.

what algae & debris clean up crew are you planning on using in your tank?
I love fissidens, especially in larger tanks as you suggested. I firmly believe that, in order to have a balanced look that the resolution of your plants should match the size of the tank. As far as the cleanup crew, right now I have a dozen amano's and one longfin bushynose. I will probably add a few otto's, but that will probably be about it unless I find the need for something additional. Any suggestions for something that won't snack on my fissidens?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
considering you have UV and compressed Co2 that will help your plants out-compete any algae for nutrients, and you seem like an experienced planted tank keeper, the crew you will have should be sufficient once you add the otto's. we debate endlessly about cleanup fish on PTF. suffice it to say that experience can vary by from fish to fish, even tank to tank. for example I have SAE's and Flag fish with my moss, that others would not risk having in the same tank. many love their plecos, while I would never get one unless I had as much driftwood to clean as you do. so it's best to experiment and be prepared to change strategies if things don't work out as planned. for example, with your fish population low, your amano's are great, but once you start building up a community of larger fish, you might find them becoming expensive snacks, so be prepared to adjust accordingly. I went through that issue with my tank, and simply switched from shrimp over to plant safe Ramshorn snails who's neutral buoyancy made them just as capable at cleaning delicate plants like Fissiden, as my long ago eaten shrimp once did.

As far as the cleanup crew, right now I have a dozen amano's and one longfin bushynose. I will probably add a few otto's, but that will probably be about it unless I find the need for something additional. Any suggestions for something that won't snack on my fissidens?
If you have the time and money to seek them out, there are differently patterned otto's in the market that can help jazz up your tank. review this thread for more details.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/36394-otocinclus-cocama-zebra-otos.html

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
awesome set up~~~~~
welcome to PTF
I love the wood...the balance and can't wait to see it all fill in~

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, I really like where this is going. I don't see enough tanks on these forums that are integrated in the interior design of their homes. Love the plant hangers for the light and the arrangement.

Btw, is that a Pug? Cute dog. She/he is like "HEY! Play with me instead of that fish tank there..."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spypet - thanks for the tips!
Casty - ha ha, yes that is a pug. she is quite the attention whore :biggrin: not as much as our doberman, tho.
Thanks for all the other compliments guys! Plantedtank knows how to make someone feel welcome :proud:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts