The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love my classic 2215 (now) but this thing had so many issues out of the box. One of the quick disconnects broke pretty much immediately. I was missing 2 out 5 clips. Lastly, I thought I had air in it. After a few months I gave up. Turns out my impeller shaft was broken. This was brand new, for reference. I had to pay over $40 in parts just to get it to where it should have been, customer service was basically non existant.

Just wondering, I am kind of angry at the moment but happy still. I will probably try to get some store credit or something, hopefully.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am not a huge fan of Ehaim. I've only had one that was trouble free. Interestingly enough, it is oft maligned Ecco.

I've own Ehem Classics and Eheim Pro2. All had some kind of issue or another. Usually w/ busted quick disconnects that would leak regardless of what I would do.

I use a Marineland C220 and its been fine so far although I hear they have their share of leaking issues from the valve block.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, but Toyotas are relatively cheap to repair, and if they are actually new, have some type of warranty/customer service.
I think that is what made me so mad about it. Basically, I just wanted new clips, that's like $5-6 from the store, probably costed Eheim $.05 to make and they just couldn't seem to get it together. Then my quick disconnect broke, I didn't even try.

With the impeller shaft, I think that is what really made me made because I never had one of these before. I knew the noise wasn't normal but I thought it was just air or something. Then it wouldn't restart right away. I probably spend 20 hours trying to figure it out, not knowing what to look for.

I am happy now, it is dead quiet and does it job, I just feel a bit ripped off. I think the store may give me credit though, they know things wern't right and did their best to help me out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can imagine how frustrating that all was. The only issue I ever had with an Eheim Classic...and I've had five over the last 30-years...is that the impeller shaft on one of them that was over 20-years old broke and they had redesigned that model in the interim and I couldn't get a new impeller shaft. So, for that reason alone, I can't use the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think that is what made me so mad about it. Basically, I just wanted new clips, that's like $5-6 from the store, probably costed Eheim $.05 to make and they just couldn't seem to get it together. Then my quick disconnect broke, I didn't even try.

With the impeller shaft, I think that is what really made me made because I never had one of these before. I knew the noise wasn't normal but I thought it was just air or something. Then it wouldn't restart right away. I probably spend 20 hours trying to figure it out, not knowing what to look for.

I am happy now, it is dead quiet and does it job, I just feel a bit ripped off. I think the store may give me credit though, they know things wern't right and did their best to help me out.
If it was NIB it should be under some sort of warranty. No? Did you contact the vendor you bought it from or Eheim? Strange to hear about the lack of service. Who did you buy it from? There are several members here who have had good results by contacting Eheim directly.

Sounds like it was a returned item. Missing clips, broken impeller shaft doesn't sound like it was a NIB. More like it was either abused and returned or new parts were removed and replaced with broken ones.

I have three Classics running at the moment and the only issue I ever had was the quick disconnect valves. They do tend to leak but out of 4 Classics I have had to replace one valve. So 7 are OK and still work fine.

I have also have 2 Rena's Xp 1's and one needed a new impeller after only 6 months!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Usually EHEIMS are solid performers. Sorry to hear about ur troubles. I have a 2215 that I bought as a teenager and is still running 12 years later. Just changed the filter floss etc. They didnt have quick disconnect back then, so no issues there.
OTOH have had this 2217 for 1 year, and 3 days earlier, it started leaking near the output nozzle. Subsided after some fidddling with it, but gave me some grief all the same.

·
Registered
743 Posts
normally eheim doesnt fall aparts ..but when it does get ready for a big drop of $$$ just like toyota/honda/ any import car , itsn't cheap to repair. after owned pro3, two pro2 , i'll not getting any more eheim product.( well i take that back eheim 1048 brand new pump is on the way) LOL but yea THAT IS IT.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This was brand new, for reference.
It doesn't sound like it was.

I had to pay over $40 in parts just to get it to where it should have been, customer service was basically non existant.
Why did you? If I received a supposedly new item that had broken/missing parts, I would have either gotten an immediate replacement, or would have had the charges reversed on my CC card.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2213 which I used for years on a newt tank, until the impeller shaft wore out. It didn't stop working, just got noisy.
I replaced the shaft and it was as quiet as ever. When the newt eventually died, I took it out of service. Never had any other issue at all.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesn't sound like it was.

Why did you? If I received a supposedly new item that had broken/missing parts, I would have either gotten an immediate replacement, or would have had the charges reversed on my CC card.
It was sold as new and looked new. Maybe things were replaced, I don't know.

I probably should have taken it back in retrospect but I was basically reliant on it once it was setup, I only knew about the clips at first (which were supposed to be easily taken care of). That wasn't enough to take it back. I didn't know why it was noisy until much later, then I knew it was the shaft.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It was sold as new and looked new. Maybe things were replaced, I don't know.

I probably should have taken it back in retrospect but I was basically reliant on it once it was setup, I only knew about the clips at first (which were supposed to be easily taken care of). That wasn't enough to take it back. I didn't know why it was noisy until much later, then I knew it was the shaft.
I'm confused. :confused:

If it was missing clips at the get go. How in the world did you get it and keep it closed?? Would not the pressure cause it to leak at the pumphead when you turned it on?? This probably resulted in air leaking into the canister and that is what made it noisy in the first place.

For me that would have been a major reason to take it back.

Always keep an airpump, airline tubing and airstone handy. It has save my butt several times. It'll save your tank and livestock allowing you enough time to make repairs or find a replacement.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Go with Rena XPs :hihi:
Or the Marineland C-series.

My 2213 gave me nothing but problems from the start. I finally gave up, threw it into a cabinet and slapped a Marineland C-220 on the tank instead. I've had zero problems with the Marinelands whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm confused. :confused:

If it was missing clips at the get go. How in the world did you get it and keep it closed?? Would not the pressure cause it to leak at the pumphead when you turned it on?? This probably resulted in air leaking into the canister and that is what made it noisy in the first place.
Well, it was actually missing 3.5 clips. I made the forth work by using a nail temporarily as the shaft for the clip to stay in place. So i had no issues keeping it closed at all.

The noise was defineatly the impeller shaft, not air. I can hear the difference now and they are much different but when reading on the internet, it sounded the same when described in words.

I will say that this was my mistake on the clips. My LFS thought it would be easy to take care of and didn't. I don't know if they tried hard or were BSing me but other stores I was trying to get parts for told me they didn't carry their filters anymore due to issues they have had with eheim. I went to big als online and got it solved out. But Big Al's kind of screwed me too because I paid more in shipping than the parts and got a big box that had something that could have fit in a small envelop.

I guess it just left a bad taste in my mouth because it didn't just take me money to fix (and maybe I could have been more assertive), it took me a bunch of time to actually figure out these problems as well (the impeller shaft in particular). If I owned something like this before, I could have figured all this out. I just didn't know much about these, this was my first canister filter. Again, I love it now, I may or may not buy again, not sure.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I love my two Eheims (2213 and 2028) BUT....

The prime function on the 2028 doesn't work that great to purge air. In the 4 years I have owned the 2028, I have now one broken clip and the main gasket leaked last month, putting me in a bit of a panic. I have an XP3 which I used for a while until I replaced it with an FX5 2 years ago and not a single thing has gone wrong with it, nor with my Fluval 204. So I think this is one of those YMMV things.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear about your eheim, you should probably return it when you noticed missing parts. Sounded like it is running real well now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Aha!
My impeller shaft is broken!
It has been driving me crazy for 2 days--- My brand new filter sounds like a ill-tuned jalopy, and everyone raves about how quiet these are supposed to be. I can hear it from the next room. I do one search for "noisy Eheim" and find the answer in the first post. The white shaft is supposed to be in one piece, not two, like it arrived in.
So now I get to buy a new shaft. Annoying.
(Probably should have plugged it in and tested it when I first bought it, rather than waiting a year...)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Since I posted last year, I've had to replace the main gasket, and no one had it close to me and the places that had it had outrageous prices. I ended up getting 2 off ebay. The slow leak was giving me nightmares.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts