The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner, and I am sure this has been posted before.

My RCS babies just hatched about 10 days ago, and they are still very tiny. What should i do with water changes? I haven't done anything to the tank for at least 3 week beside just adding water. The algae & water look pretty bad :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just use your gravel vac but don't go near the substrate. I just hold it near the top and observe and make sure nothing gets sucked in.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I commented on this thread yesterday, but for some reason my post disappeared.

Anyways, just do 10-20% water changes (actually removing water and add fresh), not just topping off evaporation (you need to actually remove water to remove nitrates and TDS).
And if the water quality is bad, it is more helpful to remove nitrogen levels with water changes, rather than simply dilute the nitrogen levels with added water volume.

Check all your water parameters and report back, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Also mention temperature, pH, GH, KH, TDS (these are important).

For the shrimp, just keep the water healthy and feed them enough food so they can grow well. The water parameters should meet their requirements for the best health and growth.
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee
RCS water parameter specs at bottom of page

For food, natural growing algae is a good source. Shrimp's diet should mainly consist of plant/vegetable/algal proteins. But they are omnivores so they can eat other foods as well.
If algae isn't a big deal for you, you can purposely leave the lights on longer that way more algae grows (more microogranisms as well) and if there are any plants, they will photosynthesize longer, keeping the water cleaner.

Don't overfeed though or the water will foul.

Would help if you can post a pic of the tank/bad water.
Are the shrimp inactive or not eating? Really check your water parameters. If you don't have a kit and the shrimp are not acting healthy, do a water change (10-20%) and get your tank water tested (water sample before water change) at your local pet store (free).

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
To keep from sucking up the little shrimplets, I just shove a piece of filter foam into my siphon and it keeps everyone in the tank.

Ben

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Oh haha! That's what was meant? How to gravel vac with shrimp in the tank??

In that case, you can use a regular gravel vac and stuff it with filter floss (thicker layer the safer from sucking shrimplet to their demise). After vacuuming, just leave the floss in the tank in case any shrimplets got trapped inside. Or just give it a shake if they all come out easy enough.

I've also seen people just use a airline tube (siphon) to suck up debris/uneaten food. Just shoo away the shrimp before vacuuming an area. You can vacuum clean into a bucket so you can get one last look through the sucked out water to double check if any shrimplets were sucked up before finally dumping the water.

You could get snails to also help take clean up a bit (there will be snaill poo, but it's easier to clean up).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use knee high hose from walmat,get the siphon started then put the hose on the end of the python and like someone else said small water changes shrimp do not like big changes

·
Registered
424 Posts
just pay attention with your siphon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts