The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning to buy a Wireless router, im using Verizon DSL, im thinking about this type of router, the Netgear 54mbps or 108mbps, whats the difference? any suggestion???

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sometimes Verizon has DSL modem/wireless router available that you can manage.

The difference in 54 vs 108 is local network speed. This will not make your online experience faster. As far as I know the fastest online service right now is 30 mbps.

I would suggest the Linksys. WRT54G. I have used these for years with minimal issues.

I would also suggest securing your wireless network. I know this router very well and I can assist you on this just send me a PM.

·
Registered
695 Posts
yup like Brilliant said secure your network or anyone can access it. I use the wireless network off my cousins router , she is using the standard wireless router from verizon which isn't too bad but the linksys is pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will only get the speed that is the highest accepted of both ends of the wireless connection, so if you already have a computer with a 54mbps in your computer it is waste of money to by a faster router (except as a future investment).
I find the Linksys the best and then Netgear (for home use).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is there a good site somewhere that would explain how to secure a wireless router? I've got a Netgear WGR14 and wouldn't mind keeping my neighbors from using it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
In short notes;

Activate any of the security versions (for business you should choose more carefully, but as a home user most is good enough) in the routers settings choose a password, save settings.
Your computer will be disconnected from your network, rescan for available networks and type the password, and you should be done.
Sometimes you will have to remove the preferred network in the computer for it to find it correctly again.

For more security choose the higher security versions, limit the access to your MAC-addresses and disable the network broadcast.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I recommend you purchase a Hawking Router. Hawking is a great brand, I like it the best.

You can also use a Hawking Repeater to get into the spots that the Router cannot reach if you have a large house or want to get the signal to go outside. I use a repeater and it works superb to get into the spots that the signal was low with just the router. The Repeater works great when you are trying to get through a concrete wall, etc.

-Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.