The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have beat plagues of algae in my tank, staghorn, green hair, bba, all of them, now GSA is all over my glass and plant leaves, how can i get rid of it? I scrape my glass, but it keeps coming back.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get your balance in check. Lighting/CO2/Nutrients.

What's your setup?
Ray 2 -8 Hours a day
EI dosing - 1/2 dose kno3
Co2- yellow drop checker

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can you raise your lights at all?

I was able to really limit the amount of GSA in my tank by lower the intensity and raising them slightly. I could have done either to the same effect, but many lights don't allow adjusting the brightness %, so you would be left to raise them.

At the time I was at 100PAR at the subtrate and much higher near the water level. I guess I could have tried to get the CO2 and Nutrients upped to match the higher light, but it was easier lowering it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you raise your lights at all?

I was able to really limit the amount of GSA in my tank by lower the intensity and raising them slightly. I could have done either to the same effect, but many lights don't allow adjusting the brightness %, so you would be left to raise them.
The gsa didnt appear until a month ago, so I don't think it is the light, I cant raise the light because my parents would flip if i hung it from the ceiling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can try manual removal and increasing the water circulation. Adding excel to your routine can help as well, you can try spot treating it with the filter off. H2O2 on a cloth will help you get it off of the glass, or one of those magnet glass cleaners. I don't know if you'll be able to save specific leaves if theyre badly affected. Just hope that new leaves are unaffected.

Those are all more of a temp fix, in the long run you'll want to get your dosing on point as to avoid it coming back.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
How does the light affix to your tank? I raised my light by setting the legs on two narrow wooden building blocks (raided the kids' toy chest). I'm going to screw the light strip brackets into the blocks to make it more solid. On my other tank I dimmed the light by putting a strip of semi-translucent plastic over the LEDs with packing tape. That tank has very little GSA now and the tape job I did is not very noticeable either.

Because yeah, I didn't want to hang anything from the ceiling either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.