The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am in Windows 7 hell right now. I am trying to upgrade a notebook to Windows 7.
Thought it should not take to long. Took my notebook about 4 hours but I have like 50 problems installed and 200GB\300GB drive full
This current notebook 4 programs installed Office '07, AS400, Blackberry Sync and Crystal Reports.
Current specs of notebook
HP Compaq 8710P Notebook
Intel 2.8Ghz Core2 Duo
4 GIG of Ram

1. Run compatibility check
2. Remove software that will not work with windows 7 or windows 7 will not upgrade.
3 Now wait again for compatibly check during upgrade 45 mins later.
4. Oh nice windows says can not upgrade yet due to reboot of system changes?? What the h$%l? I rebooted after I uninstalled the software you told me to uninstall damn it!!
5. Run upgrade again waiting for another 45 more mins already waited 30 more mins.
5. So far 2 1/2 hours for upgrade and it just start the install process.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeah, I read reviews on the new windows 7 and overally they were impressed with what Microsoft create (most of them say windows 7 is what vista should have been) but every reviewer point that installation process is PITA.
Please post your first impressions when you install it.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is funny.
I resently installed VMware for MAC on a Mac Pro and it has slowed it way down running virtual XP which is very interesting.
Had user upgrade to snow leopard when it was released and they had to take it off because their HP LaserJet stopped working LMAO!!
Don't even get me started on Entourage. Good thing the next release of Mac Office '10 will have Outlook and no more Entourage.

Does Mac OS run Access? Never will happen..
Does Mac OS run Crystal Reports? They have a viewer that counts right? No!!

We have 3 Mac users and frankly I can not stand a MAC.

Why not clean install? I would never upgrade an OS. Even if you theoretically save time, clean install is the way to go for me.
Well the deal there is time. The notebook belongs to a VP and she took the afternoon off to get it upgraded. ( 2- IT and VP of Company will only be running Win 7) Full vers $299 and upgrade was $199 saved the extra $100 also. The notebook going to be replaced in 1 year. Easier for me to do upgrade so I don't have to spend 5 hours (going to take 5 hours for stupid upgrade anyways) and make sure the user settings are correct on all their applications. Also adding mapped drives...printers.. ect ect.. Hey it is Friday and is supposed to be easy day for IT give me a break.. j/k :)

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
Well the deal there is time. The notebook belongs to a VP and she took the afternoon off to get it upgraded. ( 2- IT and VP of Company will only be running Win 7) Full vers $299 and upgrade was $199 saved the extra $100 also. The notebook going to be replaced in 1 year. Easier for me to do upgrade so I don't have to spend 5 hours (going to take 5 hours for stupid upgrade anyways) and make sure the user settings are correct on all their applications. Also adding mapped drives...printers.. ect ect.. Hey it is Friday and is supposed to be easy day for IT give me a break.. j/k :)
Good points... I thought it was for YOUR lappy. Reinstalling takes time, but as you are finding out, upgrading isn't quick either. Happy Friday! :bounce:

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh mine went smooth.. Used TechNet Win 7 final relase on my notebook. That is getting replaced in 10 weeks. Looking on getting custom Intel Quad CPU in HP notebook little over $4K from insight.com
Also LG Bliss and using email app for POP mail what a POS. That what got me started this morning.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Well this a vast improvement over the past windows. I remember trying to install windows NT and that took 2 days! The problem was it couldn't recognize the ethernet card so I had to take the computer apart to read the label on the card to find out what card it was. yeah, I did a lot of cursing at microsoft that day.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this a vast improvement over the past windows. I remember trying to install windows NT and that took 2 days! The problem was it couldn't recognize the ethernet card so I had to take the computer apart to read the label on the card to find out what card it was. yeah, I did a lot of cursing at microsoft that day.
It makes me feel good when I read about other people have issues worse than me. :proud:

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somehow my school got all of their laptops in the library upgraded to windows 7 like last weekend, before it was released? :confused:
If your IT you can get things before it is released to the public. I bet the school Microsoft Gold partner.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Somehow my school got all of their laptops in the library upgraded to windows 7 like last weekend, before it was released? :confused:
ha ha my school is still running window's 2000 :icon_frown

anyways I'm running windows seven on my Compaq 8510w and loving it I've been running it since it came out in beta later this year I'll upgrade m8100e.
I've found that my batteries last longer and my programs run faster on windows seven. I did not notice the install taking to long but it did seem to fill my hard drive which sorta surprised me because the computer was only a few weeks old but I still love it :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Linux?
Again another OS that is not support with like 90% of applications in a work environment.
Thats what keeps me from switching to a Mac, none of the programs we use in the military will run on anything but Windows. Well that and the ridiculously high cost of Macs.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Somewhat on-topic, there's a great offer by Microsoft for students looking to purchase Windows 7 for $30: http://www.win741.com/

Note: It's the upgrade version and this is for download only, you need to pay a little extra ($15 I think) for the CD.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts