The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Ive decided what it is about windows vista that makes it so... 'Wonderful'. They just perfected the art of crashing. When vista crashes it simply kills and restarts the program as best it can. They didnt fix anything, make a better os, make it run better, etc. Just made it a little easier to deal with how bad it works. Vista blows. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
You took the words right out of my mouth. Ever since I've been using Vista, things seem to freeze up or crash twice as much as before. Let's hope Windows 7 improves on that a bit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i've stuck to XP ever since it came out. Vista couldnt even last as long as XP. Good thing their coming out with Windows 7 later this year!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Macs FTW!!!
I use XP Professional for my desktop though and I like it. It doesn't crash too much. Hopefully Windows 7 would be a great OS.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
vista is the new windows 98 minus the blue screen of death... i still use 2000 on everything i own. most stable OS they have ever built.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Haha! Just yesterday I discovered that my office PC couldn't get to a site I need because of the way Vista handles security certificates. So I was forced to "downgrade" to Windows XP.

<sarcasm> Doesn't that suck? </sarcasm>

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hate Vista! :angryfire

I have one laptop with it and wish I could wipe out the OS and install XP!! Not as easy as it sounds so they tell me .............. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
2,940 Posts

I have one laptop with it and wish I could wipe out the OS and install XP!! Not as easy as it sounds so they tell me .............. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
it is easyier then you think. DOS boot disk will wipe anything out... c:/format C:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
it is easyier then you think. DOS boot disk will wipe anything out... c:/format C:
Thanks ........ I'll forward this to the computer "whiz kids" next door. I would never attempt to do this myself.

For most folks of my generation it is "forbidden" territory! :hihi:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
the problem with windows is it will let you upgrade the OS but you cant downgrade the Os without wipeing everything out and starting from scratch. Good luck!!

·
Registered
357 Posts

It is possible, but not as easy as jreich makes it sound. You'll have to find your motherboard manufacturer's website and download the XP versions of all their drivers first.

Windows XP sometimes does a decent job of updating drivers from the internet, but you likely won't be able to get to the internet unless you have the motherboard drivers to begin with. Kind of a catch-22...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
the motherbord drivers are not so important to get it running. all you really need to start is NIC card drivers and probably video drivers. which i did forget to mention... but we were only talking about getting the OS installed which drivers are not required for that. but yes definatley get the proper NIC drivers before doing anything. if you have the NIC drivers you can just go online and download whats missing later...

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I still run XP at the shop on everything. My software vendor told me two years ago they had no plans be Vista compatible. I'm just curious if 7 will be more like XP.

I've had Vista at home and other than it wants to block non-MS updates like AV software it's been as stable as any other OS they've had.

SteveU

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Oh no not another one of those rare I hate Vista threads.

I think Ive decided what it is about windows vista that makes it so... 'Wonderful'. They just perfected the art of crashing. When vista crashes it simply kills and restarts the program as best it can. They didnt fix anything, make a better os, make it run better, etc. Just made it a little easier to deal with how bad it works. Vista blows. I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Right-click your computer icon, Properties, click Advanced System settings, Startup and Recovery settings, uncheck "Automatically restart".

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
First thing I do with a new PC is wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS minus the crapware installed by the manufacturer. I don't particularly like Vista either, especially the 32 bit version. But alot of the instability is the added garbage put into the hard drive image from the PC manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts