The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there. As the title says I am having some window condensation problems at home. I have been in the house for a little over a year. Last year during winter I had some condensation on the master bedroom windows.

This year the condensation is even worst. Most of the windows are showing this problem. Some windows I rarely open where dripping condensed water the other day. Some of the paint in the drywall looks about to peel.

Anyone knows what might be happening? I have contacted the house warranty folks. What are my options to solve the problem?

THanks

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
here are some things to consider;
-could be leaky stem fittings on your radiators.
-could be an inside the wall plumbing leak.
-oven hood exhaust vent could be clogged to the outside while cooking.
-chimney flue is open and moisture is back drafting into the house.
-the water proof flashing on the side or roof of your house could be compromised. does not matter if it's brick or shingling, this problem can still occur.
-if your windows are single pane glass, it's normal for water to condense on them. consider replacing with double pane glass or getting an outer set of storm windows.
-some central air systems have in line humidifiers (they help save energy in the winter) that may need to be adjusted.
-your sump pump may need attention if it allows moisture in the water table under your house to rise up the foundation.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are some things to consider;
-could be leaky stem fittings on your radiators.
-could be an inside the wall plumbing leak.
-oven hood exhaust vent could be clogged to the outside while cooking.
-chimney flue is open and moisture is back drafting into the house.
-the water proof flashing on the side or roof of your house could be compromised. does not matter if it's brick or shingling, this problem can still occur.
-if your windows are single pane glass, it's normal for water to condense on them. consider replacing with double pane glass or getting and outer set of storm windows.
Is a two story house and is happening on mostly all windows. Some more than others. House has gutters and I do not hear any water running in the walls. I think the windows are single pane ones.

What worries me is that walls will get mold or paint get damaged like I have seen.

-Pedro

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
We aren't in Texas, but my wood heat keeps things very dry. If you have a fireplace, you could crank that up every once in a while. I don't know if this would help, but maybe one of those little portable oil filled electric radiator heaters, or one of those sand filled radiant heaters. The sand filled ones are said to be fairly efficient. I use one of those oil filled jobs in my garage on occasion.

Like Ian said, maybe best just to invest in a dehumidifier. Interestingly, they usually use calcium chloride balls as the chemical agent. I use to use those "Dry Z Air" brand calcium chloride balls to add calcium to my near zip GH well water. They sold those at Lowes.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I think the windows are single pane ones.
There are two ways to deal with that, first is to reduce humidity (cover tanks, open doors/windows daily for a short period for a some fresh air circulation, dehumidifier etc).

The second way would be to improve insulation, especially by investing in double pane windows. The inner pane doesn't get as cold, not as much water condenses, less runoff and damage. Plus, you'll save a bunch on heating, depending on how cold it gets where you live.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are two ways to deal with that, first is to reduce humidity (cover tanks, open doors/windows daily for a short period for a some fresh air circulation, dehumidifier etc).

The second way would be to improve insulation, especially by investing in double pane windows. The inner pane doesn't get as cold, not as much water condenses, less runoff and damage. Plus, you'll save a bunch on heating, depending on how cold it gets where you live.
I live in Texas and temps most of the time are above freezing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
as far as i know , condensation is usually caused by excess moisture in the house....
modern houses are sealed so tight that there is no way for the moisture to escape...not like the old days when you felt drafts running through the house :icon_mrgr
i would make sure that all of the ventalation fixtures such the kitchen,bath and clothes dryer are vented to the outside...not the attic or into a soffit (roof overhang)
im assuming that since you are in texas, your house is on a slab with no basement ..so thats probably not the problem (unless you have a crawl space thats not vented properly)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might seem like some dumb questions, but let's get some assumptions out of the way:

Is this a Year-round Problem? Winter-only? Summer and Winter?

Right now: Are You using Heat? A/C? Nothing?

If You are heating: What do You use: Central Heat? Fireplace? Wood? Etc?
Winter problem. Central heating unit.

-Pedro

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
OK, Obvious time, how many tanks do you have?

Moisture is THE biggest enemy of your home, if you see problems with drywall you are on thin ice! If you don't have one consider an air exchanger. Defiantly get a dehumidifier or two.

And if you have a fish room, vent it to the outside, running the fan occasionally.

Do not procrastinate on this!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Depending on how many and/or what sizes of tanks you have this can certainly be a contributing factor.

Before I had aquariums I always use to run a table top fountain near by my terrestrial fern houseplants or they would get bad brown leaves during the winter due to dryness. Now that I have two aquariums with (combined) 105 gallons of moving water....well, I don't use that table top fountain any more. My hygrometer reads a consistent 60% humidity. The ferns are loving it; however I've since abandoned my cacti and succulent specimens. The succulent started developing aerial roots at all the leaf nodes. It looked quite ratty!

Being 'up north' all my windows are double paned although I sometimes get a slight condensation depending on the outside temps. It's mostly not more than around a quarter to half inch near the base and as they are all metal framed it does not harm any wood or drywall. Some homeowners purchase humidifiers to help combat winter dryness so it surely is all a matter of degrees. If it is too dry nosebleeds can be a problem as well as bad static electricity.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
New York is a dry town in the winter.
My hygrometer's in the low 20% unless
I run a humidifier all the time just to get
it near a more sleeping comfortable 40%,
and that's with tanks and house planets.
that's why I seriously doubt mila's problem
has anything to do with her tanks. there
has to be some problem with the house itself.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am a HE. I have 14 tanks in one room and they are open top tanks.
I think the humidity might be too high on that room and that is why it is more affected than the others.

The others might be because of the difference between my inside temp and outside. either way they guy from the warranty is going to go home and check everything out.

-Pedro

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I have 14 tanks in one room and they are open top tanks
mila, next time you start a thread like this,
maybe you can give us ALL the facts before
we invest a lot of time trying to help you

you OBVIOUSLY need a dehumidifier in there.
you should also close the air return vents in
that room so the excess humidity does not
spread all over the house. in the summer
your central AC is dehumidifying, that's
why in the winter you notice it more.

Consumer Guide: Dehumidifiers Product Reviews
Dehumidifiers allergy buyers club

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate the help but not people telling me how to start a thread because they don't like it or I do not think like them. This is what drives me away sometimes from this forum.

Thanks everyone for the help. end of discussion for me.

-Pedro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.