The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just walked into my office and found a new cleaning guy using a Windex soaked paper towel on the outside of my 50 gal planted discuss tank :angryfire

What now? How long do I have before they all die? Should I be concerned?

I just cleaned it down with water.

Please advise.

Quick!

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
I clean my tank like this all the time, I spray windex onto the paper towel while facing away from the tank and then use the windex dampened towel to clean the outside of the tank sides. I stay away from the top to make sure that I dont get some of the windex into the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I clean my tank like this all the time, I spray windex onto the paper towel while facing away from the tank and then use the windex dampened towel to clean the outside of the tank sides. I stay away from the top to make sure that I dont get some of the windex into the tank.
Agreed! I've cleaned all 6 of my tanks with windex for years without a single problem.That being said, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with someone I didn't trust cleaning it for me...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Just to be safe, you could add some carbon to your filter.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i usually just buff my glass clean with a dry towel. theres usually nothing on my glass besides fingerprints and water marks which easily buff out

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I use Windex too sometimes, and also white vinegar, and also isopropyl alcohol (more expensive) and RO works alright too for a few water spots.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I use Windex with no problems. Now I wouldn't want to spray it right in the tank, but I have even occasionally sprayed it on the glass with no ill effects. (I would not advise doing so, though. I have only done it on a tank that was well covered with a canopy). It does contain ammonia, so getting it in the water could cause an ammonia spike.

Maybe you need to put a little note of some sort somewhere visible saying not to use windex on the fish tank? I used to have an open top tank sitting in the office of an RV park I was working at, and I had to have a sign on it telling people not to put their hands (or anything else!) in the water, not to bang on the glass, or feed the fish anything.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I use Vinegar Windex for my tanks and glass tops. I also spray the paper towel away from the tank and then wipe the glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts