The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Could always do a human weight test. I wanted to see if a coffee table would support my 10g so I stood on it for a couple minutes like a stool while I attached hanging hooks in the ceiling. Go bug some of your friends :)

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
I'm guessing it's okay because it's steel, but I'm still nervous about having no center support. Figure 1000 pounds of tank if you do any math.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How thick is the steel?
If you have two 45 gal trash cans, you can put bags in them and fill them with water.
Film just in case it collapses.:hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
715 Posts
LOL yeah that is usually how it works out. But working with steel everyday (I am a welder) I would confidently say that it would hold a 75g up no problem as long as the joints were actually welded across and nut just "tacked". My guess is the thickness is prob around a 0.095 and having the tubing being 2 inches wide, that will hold up alot more weight than you would think.

We can use 2 - 1" welds 0.25" wide to safely hold "8500lbs" with a crane according to OSHA. Although alot of the time we lift 10000lbs+ with that.

Shhhhh!!!! I didnt say that. :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
hahaha 10x safety factor

and all steel construction ROCKS!
1 1/8" square tube and anyone who needs center support isn't filling a glass tank LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts