The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for guarantees, just opinions. Will this safely support 55 gallons? It is very heavy and made of oak (I think). The tank is on it now and is about 1/2 full with no indication of stress.

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would be concerned about how those legs are attached to the table... if it's just screws/bolts probably no good... though you could always put shims under it to carry the weight and keep it from flexing. I would also be concerned about how easy it would be to tip the tank over since there is really nothing to keep it from swaying front to back (no diagonals, 4 legs, etc)...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. Tanks need weight distributed along sturdy, braced legs. That's why almost all stands are pretty much the same so the weight is evenly distributed the length and width of the tank. Also, that table looks like a substantial piece of furniture. Putting a tank on it risks ruining the finish as well as the integrity of its stability.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is in a basement, so looks are not important.

Would lining the front and back with cinder blocks solve the problem?

Do cinder block have to be oriented in a specific way?

Any other ways to beef this thing up?

Ben

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yea, the weight is going straight down the middle onto the lugs/screws that hold the legs on. Not good. All four corners of the tank need to be evenly distributed by weight, without warp on the top of the table. Then, all four corners of the weight need to be supported evenly directly underneath, which a pedestal table cannot possibly do. It's a bad idea to use a pedestal table for heavy weight like an aquarium. One of two things can happen: The aquarium will get a leak from uneven support, or the table will break or strain at the legs. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. The math does not support the configuration for weight.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thank you. I will just get some cinder blocks.
Understood. It's all good. But, I must warn once again, The table top itself is not supported directly under the tank corners. It will possibly warp and the tank will be twisted by that warping due to weight. It is a really bad idea. If it were just 100 or 200 lbs, I'd say go for it. But that is not the case. Don't put anything you love underneath that table!!! And buy a shopvac just in case I'm right! :laugh2:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'll bet you could sell the table for more than a simple designed aquarium stand would cost. And, if not, a stack of concrete blocks makes a sturdy stand, at very low cost.
Hoppy has a valid point. Sell it and invest in a proper stand.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I thought the OP was going to use cinder blocks under the table in some configuration to shore it up. Sorry for the admonishment. Yes, just cinderblock, no table, sounds much better.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Awolf. I dropped the tank level to 1/4 until tomorrow when I will be replacing the table with cinder blocks.

Unfortunately, my wife won't let me sell the table:)

Ben

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I got it built today at lunch. You should have seen my little Civic hauling 700# of concrete. I will post a picture when I can. Right now, I need to go rest my back :)

Ben

Update: Grrr. I placed the concrete blocks with the center opening horizontal so I can use them as shelves. Apparently they are supposed to be oriented the other way. Like I said, I will post a picture this evening, but how big of a deal is this?

Ben

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think it looks great! The wood 2x's are quite smart and will distribute the load evenly on the cinderblock. Worst case scenario: A block cracks from the load and it gets dust on your floor...:laugh2:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would have turned the blocks just to be sure , but the big issue I see is that the corners of the tank are hanging over and the solid blocks are not the smoothest surface to have that much weight especially with the bottom rim gone . Let's see who else chimes in...lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.