The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 5 gallon tank sitting around, and I really want to scape it- but I don't want to buy expensive lighting for it, because I'm working on buying stuff for my upcoming 55g setup. I was wondering if this little LED that comes stock would be able to grow any low light plants? I'll try to figure out how to add a picture now.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Sorry, I have not tried them myself. But I have read a number of threads on TPT of other people using them. I would do some digging around the forum.

v3

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i have seem them used as accent lights, especially for the reds but i cant say if they would work well as a primary light source. It may work if you have numerous strips in tandem covering the full cover of the tank but that is something that needs to be tested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
that set ups looks like the aqueon kit hood and light. I bought the 13 gallon set up and it had three of the 3 square less in it. It is NOT enough light for anything. Didn't even grown java fern. My tank responded better to a measly 1 hour of indirect sunlight once moved.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that set ups looks like the aqueon kit hood and light. I bought the 13 gallon set up and it had three of the 3 square less in it. It is NOT enough light for anything. Didn't even grown java fern. My tank responded better to a measly 1 hour of indirect sunlight once moved.
This is the Tetra 5g kit. Speaking of sunlight, the 5g is right in front of my window that gets LOTS of sun. Is using sunlight alone to grow a smaller tank easy? Or is it best left to those who are experienced (which I am not- haha)?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have seem them used as accent lights, especially for the reds but i cant say if they would work well as a primary light source. It may work if you have numerous strips in tandem covering the full cover of the tank but that is something that needs to be tested.
Yeah I see what you mean. That kind of negates the whole "cheap lighting" I was hoping for, but now I', intrigued by this sunlight idea so I'm not too bummed yet!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Do you have any suggestions for a plant that lives in low light?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Aesthetics I assume. I did get a nice Tetra brand? LED fixture that hooks on the back of my 5 gallon, $20-$30 I think. It's bright enough for anubias and crypto.

I like your CFL idea though. I used on in a desk lamp to start tomato seeds inside :D so it'll probably work out nicely for you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a kit 13 gallon hood w led set up similar to yours, It has a total of 3 it those strips. It's 0.5 odiums and it's doing really well w anachrias, java fern, flame moss, wisteria, Lutea, Brazilian sword and amazingly enough my Hygro sunset...I'm even getting some pink on the sunset

·
Registered
178 Posts
My aqueon 13g is doing surprisingly well

Here's the sunset the requires med light

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.