The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going every one i recently upgraded my 10 gallon to a 26s it is 36x17x10
i was wondering if this light can provided enough light to grow plants it has one 21watt 6700k t5 bulb and one colormax 21watt bulb. Let me know what u guys/girls think :bounce:

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have this same fixture except mine says for saltwater and reef aquariums.. Is the only difference the sort of bulb that is in it?

And if so, which bulb should I be putting in? right now it has 10k daylight and an artinic blue light?

Can I just change the blue light and use this to grow low to medium light plants?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Hows it going every one i recently upgraded my 10 gallon to a 26s it is 36x17x10
i was wondering if this light can provided enough light to grow plants it has one 21watt 6700k t5 bulb and one colormax 21watt bulb. Let me know what u guys/girls think :bounce:
you can grow more plants than you think, the light choice is very good, but there is no need to use the color max bulb unless you like the bit of pinkish light in your tank. your light bulbs are good for plants and if you are looking for brighter appearance for your tank then i recommend you use 6700k or 10,000k.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have this same fixture except mine says for saltwater and reef aquariums.. Is the only difference the sort of bulb that is in it?

And if so, which bulb should I be putting in? right now it has 10k daylight and an artinic blue light?

Can I just change the blue light and use this to grow low to medium light plants?
Change out the actinic bulb. You will have high light with that fixture if it is T5HO.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That depends.are you running c02? What ferts are you dosing? Hc loves the c02. I've heard you can grow it in lower light but I don't have experience with this plant hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That depends.are you running c02? What ferts are you dosing? Hc loves the c02. I've heard you can grow it in lower light but I don't have experience with this plant hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
i am running a DIY piantball co2 setup with a glass diffuser at about 1bps in a 26s diminsions are 36x17x10. seems to be working well and i am dosing N,P and K with the liquid pfertz line. And for micros i am using seachem flourish.

The plants i have as of now are:
Amazon sword, water wisteri, java moss, a tiny bit of hc(basically dead..),red ludwigia, Limnophila Sessilfloria, and hygrophila kompakt. They all seem to be doing ok right now.

although i have co2 I am having trouble keeping a steady bubble count (if that matters or not im not sure.) but there is definitely co2 going in to my tank. thanks for the help :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Colormax bulb will work fine, but it is lower par than a 10000k bulb. If you want higher light plants, put in a 10000k bulb in instead. But the higher the light level, the more the need for co2 and fertilization.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Colormax bulb will work fine, but it is lower par than a 10000k bulb. If you want higher light plants, put in a 10000k bulb in instead. But the higher the light level, the more the need for co2 and fertilization.
ok sounds good. as of right now the plants im trying to grow are these
Amazon sword, water wisteri, java moss, a tiny bit of hc(basically dead..),red ludwigia, Limnophila Sessilfloria, and hygrophila kompakt.
do you think with just one 6700k bulb and the colormax bulb in my fixture i should be ok with these plants?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
ok sounds good. as of right now the plants im trying to grow are these
Amazon sword, water wisteri, java moss, a tiny bit of hc(basically dead..),red ludwigia, Limnophila Sessilfloria, and hygrophila kompakt.
do you think with just one 6700k bulb and the colormax bulb in my fixture i should be ok with these plants?
your lights are fine, just worry about keeping the c02 stable in that tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.