The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband just built me a nice plywood canopy to top off my 25 gallon cube tank. We bought some paint and now i'm worried if it will waterproof the canopy? There will be moisture to deal with from the pump and evaporation. This plywood is very thin, and won't last if the moisture gets in.
The paint is Krylon color master with covermax technology, acrylic latex enamel. It says for indoor/outdoor use. Can anyone give me some advice, will this waterproof the canopy or do I need to buy something else?? Thanks SO much for any help.:help:

· Registered
12,433 Posts
I may be sleeping but I think of Krylon as spray paint? If that is true, I would be slow to choose it as spray paint tends to be a thin coat. To me, that gives less protection that a brush coat. I'm not too worried what type of paint as long as I let it dry totally before getting it around any fish. No smell at all is my dryness test!
I favor Rustoleum gloss white for the inside of canopies. I do a couple coats as I do find there is enough moisture inside for black mold to build thin layers if I don't wipe it down occasionally.

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be sleeping but I think of Krylon as spray paint? If that is true, I would be slow to choose it as spray paint tends to be a thin coat. To me, that gives less protection that a brush coat. I'm not too worried what type of paint as long as I let it dry totally before getting it around any fish. No smell at all is my dryness test!
I favor Rustoleum gloss white for the inside of canopies. I do a couple coats as I do find there is enough moisture inside for black mold to build thin layers if I don't wipe it down occasionally.
Thanks for replying. This is actually in a 32oz can, so you figure if I put on a couple coats it will make it waterproof?

· Registered
11,717 Posts
Yes to the 2+ coats.
Apply each one fairly thin, don't glop it on, just be sure of full coverage, then wait for it to be fully dry to apply the next. This might be the next day, not just a couple of hours.

Since it says outdoor use, I think it has a good chance of working.
Read the details. It will probably say not for under water use, that is common, but watch out if it says anything more about not to use it in a damp setting.

· Registered
21,007 Posts
I have made many light hoods, and used most, if not all of them with no glass on top of the tank. Not once have I seen a moisture problem in one of those hoods. I have used fans in a few hoods, but not to keep out the moisture, but to evaporate some tank water to help keep down the water temperature. The only moisture effect I have seen was years ago, when I had an 8 tube T8 light on a 120 gallon tank. I put a sheet of aluminum behind the bulbs to help get more light, and when I finally tore down the tank I found some corrosion on the aluminum, but very little. It isn't necessary to water proof a hood, since if you ever dunk it in the water you have electrical problems that waterproofing doesn't solve. So, you have to avoid ever dunking it anyway. All plywood that is commonly available uses exterior grade adhesives anyway, so the days of plywood delaminating due to moisture are long gone.

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys this makes me feel better, the plywood we used isn't the typical kind that is sold. It's thin, but that was the look I wanted to go for on the canopy. Anyway some of the extra cut pieces that were left outside got some rain on them and they wrinkled up pretty bad. That's what made me start worrying and start this thread. The look of the canopy is just right and almost completely done. I just don't want the darn thing to wrinkle up after we put it on.

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was going to post a picture of the mold I get on the inside of my canopy but now find I can't post pics. Let's just say it was ugly!
Paint is good insurance.
I know you're right, I am painting inside and out of my canopy. I put on two coats and it didn't look so great so we sanded it with a fine grit sandpaper and repainted it again and now its looking much better. I plan to sand and paint one more time and then I'll try to post some pics.

· Registered
1 Posts
I make my canopy out of solid Oak, then paint the inside with Bright White Benjmin Moore exterior Latex, for its reflective qualities. (2 Coats) After it is completely dry (24hrs), I then coat the paint with epoxy fiberglass resin (slow curing). Result is Glossy and never molds ,warps, or rots, EVER!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.