The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It would be ok nothing overly wrong other than it's a non-standard size. Generally deep tanks tend to suck when aquascaping as your armpit deep or more inside the tank which isn't all that fun when it's full of water. I have the Tetra 29gal kit (I won it in a raffle) that works very well as a high-tech community tank. I pitched the HOB for a Eheim classic canister and gutted the stock hood light with a ahsupply light kit and it's nearly perfect, except for the wet armpits.

The Coralife is a decent fixture and should grow just about anything you want tho if the picture is correct most of the light will be centered on the back.

Depending on the price it should be a decent kit the only thing I would not do is use the Hagen C02 kit if your going to do high-tech then get a good regulator and do pressurized on a tank that big.

- Brad

·
Registered
75 Posts
I saw this at Petco... It looks good, but to me it was overpriced for what you get... You'll want better filtratration for sure so why pay that much for a tank, light and heater (and boy is that heater ugly ;p)?

I just bought a 20H for $40 bucks, and 65w Coralife PC from Dr. Fosters for $45 bucks... That's $85 leaving you roughly that much towards a good canister filter.

Like my computer, I felt it better to build my own system, buying each piece separate and putting it to the side until I had everything i needed to begin my new tank.

- Whiskeyfox

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
$160 would be a bit steep for my blood but it's probably not that bad of a price, if your comfortable with it I'd say go ahead it's not a bad tank. I'm just cheap so I hit craigslist for yard sales and/or club members for 30gal breeders and 55gal standards for about $50'ish but that means I have to clean and possibly repair them plus buy all the parts.

- Brad

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
well here is the stock list

8-10 neons
8-10 cories
bolivian rams
20 ghost shrimp
This would be much too overstocked for a 10g tank.

I would say that Bolivian Rams are unsuitable for a 10g tank as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That coralife fixture is on two rinky metal legs in this package, which you can slide forwards and backwards, it isn't 'fixed' to the back portion of the tank.

I like what whiskey has to say, if you part it out you will save loads of cash. Buy a bare tank from a store, a nice fixture from an online supplier, and put the rest towards a nicer filter!

What you have listed for a fishload is certainly way overstocked. Maybe do something like this instead:

8 neons
2 cories, or a trio of dwarf cories (ie, panda cories).
1 or a pair of rams should be okay, provided you give each of them enough hiding spaces/territory to claim.
I'd scratch the ghost shrimp, odds are your rams could make a snack of them. Once all is established a larger, inedible amano shrimp is an excellent planted tank choice.

If you end up getting this set up, make sure you're adding your fish slowly over a few months time. Do research on this forum and elsewhere on cycling planted tanks. Don't rush into it!

·
Registered
885 Posts
the coralife 24 inch t5 lamp (its a 28w) is a good setup but i think it would be a bit week for a 25, i have it on my 20h and to me its at the low side of things,

as for position i took my versa top and split apart so i use one pane centered over the tank. with the light above that.

im planning on getting a second coralife 24" but im not sure if im gonna go with another 28w t5 or the 65w PC they sell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.