The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

SEquestrene 330 10% fully chelated DTPA iron chelate helps prevent iron chlorosis.
High Performance Iron Chelate for Foliar and Soil Applications.
Widely used for the correction of iron deficiency in certain crops in slightly acid to slightly alkaline soils.
For easy measuring and mixing. Recommended by rosarians for use on roses, especially for show.
5 lb bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4_hCAnymFw

Looks like at PH 7.6, you will get 35-40% from DTPA iron vs 3-4% from EDTA Iron.

However this stuff is for farms or hydroponics. Will it kill fish? that is the question.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi SpaceLord,

Good job doing your homework! Yes, the chelated iron (Fe - DTPA) pictured should work fine for your aquarium application as long as you do not have high PH (dKH) values.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi SpaceLord,

Good job doing your homework! Yes, the chelated iron (Fe - DTPA) pictured should work fine for your aquarium application as long as you do not have high PH (dKH) values.
Unfortunately my PH is so high, that even the better DTPA may not be good enough.

If I have 7.6 PH, how much Iron will be bioavailable to my plants.
According to one chart, I would be getting 35%, and according to another chart, it look like 0.

Perhaps trying C02 will lower my PH enough to allow the IRON to be bioavailable.

Let me ask you, what do you think of this 3rd option:

This is EDDHA, which is the best of the best as far as being bioavailable even in high PH levels.

Thanks.

Allied Aqua,
LLC - AlliedAqua.com
Aquaponics • Aquaculture • Hydroponics • Ponds • Aquariums
Live Fish Stock • Fish Food • Advanced Filtration Systems • Commercial Grade Air & Water Pumps • And More!

Item Description

This product remains highly stable and readily available over a very broad pH range (pH 4.0-10.0) for plant uptake. This product is not harmful to fish, plants, bacteria or aquatic invertebrates when used as directed.

DIRECTIONS: Product will impart a red color to the solution due to the Fe-O (phenolate) bond. Start with 1 teaspoon per 100 gallons of system water. Wait 2 hours. Repeat until a slight red tint is visible. The red tint indicates plant available iron is present at satisfactory levels. Iron concentration of 1-4 PPM is advisable depending on plant requirements. However, it is seldom necessary to add more than 1.5 PPM due to its superior availability in solution. Once red tint fades, add more.

Dose Rates (teaspoons added per 100 gallons = resulting increase ppm of Iron): 1:100 = 0.38 PPM; 2:100 = .77 PPM; 3:100 = 1.15 PPM; 4:100 = 1.53 PPM; 5:100 = 1.92 PPM; 6:100 = 2.30 PPM

WARNING: Keep out of reach of children and handle with care. Avoid contact with skin, clothing and eyes. Avoid inhalation of dust or spray mists. Do not ingest.

About Allied Aqua, LLC

Allied Aqua is a Limited Liability Company registered in the state of Missouri and based in Smithville, MO (just a few miles north of Kansas City). Our staff members have over 40 years of combined experience in aquaculture, aquaponics, hydroponics, pond/lake management, the aquarium industry and related fields. We maintain our own production scale aquaculture and hatchery facilities on-site, using the same products we sell. In other words, we don't just sell these products, we actually use them, and do so on a daily basis! We have thoroughly tested the products we offer, to make sure they meet our own high standards. When you have an item specific question or need help/support with its actual use, you can be confident you'll get accurate and relevant assistance from our friendly and knowledgeable crew.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
936 Posts
Will the tint go away when the plants absorb the iron?
plants are not absorbing the amounts we dose. not even close to it, so the tint will go away most probably only at waterchange.
i still use it in tiny amounts tho. i like the idea of seeing a bit tinted water and thinking there is enaugh iron inthere.

if id have to choose, i would dose something like 0.1ppm DTPA + 0.05ppm EDDHA twice a week for >7.5PH tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.