The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I made a couple posts here regarding pressurized co2 and most members advised that I purchase a "legit" expensive system and not tinker with the diy stuff as well as the paintball stuff. I have a 75 gallon planted tank, and want to stimulate the plant growth. Because of the cost, I decided to just go low tech. However, recently I found someone selling co2 tanks in my area for really cheap. The seller said they were purchased in 2015 and used by her father a welder. They definitely seem to have some age on them as there is dust and cobwebs, but I don't think that necessarily means they are bad. Want to know you opinion on whether buying one of these is safe and a good decision for my planted tank. Thinking of getting 2 and switching them as they get empty over the months. Also, can any regular aquarium regulator work for this or do I need a specific connector? Again this would be my first true pressurized co2 setup so any advice is appreciated. My worst nightmare would be having one of these explode and destroy my tank and my house so I mainly would like to know if something like this is safe to purchase. I've also heard of hydro testing so where could I do that and how much generally to do?

Thanks,
Ray
Liquid Green Gas Tints and shades Drink

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hey guys,

I made a couple posts here regarding pressurized co2 and most members advised that I purchase a "legit" expensive system and not tinker with the diy stuff as well as the paintball stuff. I have a 75 gallon planted tank, and want to stimulate the plant growth. Because of the cost, I decided to just go low tech. However, recently I found someone selling co2 tanks in my area for really cheap. The seller said they were purchased in 2015 and used by her father a welder. They definitely seem to have some age on them as there is dust and cobwebs, but I don't think that necessarily means they are bad. Want to know you opinion on whether buying one of these is safe and a good decision for my planted tank. Thinking of getting 2 and switching them as they get empty over the months. Also, can any regular aquarium regulator work for this or do I need a specific connector? Again this would be my first true pressurized co2 setup so any advice is appreciated. My worst nightmare would be having one of these explode and destroy my tank and my house so I mainly would like to know if something like this is safe to purchase. I've also heard of hydro testing so where could I do that and how much generally to do?

Thanks,
Ray View attachment 1029973 View attachment 1029974 View attachment 1029975 View attachment 1029976 View attachment 1029973
A used 10lb co2 tank runs 50 to 75 dollars. A new shiny one runs around 150 dollars from what I have seen in my area. You should figure out where you are going to fill a tank first as they may require hydro testing and/or sell you a tank and/or require that you use only tanks they have certified. Places to fill tanks include welding supply companies and fire extinguisher refilling companies plus companies that specialize in selling gasses. The regulator is going to be what sets you back the most probably.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Ray View attachment 1029973 View attachment 1029974 View attachment 1029975 View attachment 1029976 View attachment 1029973
First off the valve ON the tank needs to be CO2 specific.
I would be SURPRISED if swapping valves isn't regulated by specific standards as to torque specs ect.
Second no reputable shop will fill a labelled for other gas w/ CO2.
Generally this is just a sticker change FOR SOME TYPES I believe BUT the stickers aren't exactly cheap.
Believe there are restrictions on which bottle can be changed over.
Oxygen bottles are designated as only oxygen. Oxygen is an oxidizer, I would not want to see what happens if you put it in a different bottle. Acetylene bottles have acetone inside of them and a special mat to hold the acetylene. This should be a big no.
As to cost of re-certifying probably varies by area. $35-$55 is sort of common.
I GUESS that if one switches gas a re-cert is mandatory.
Some will give a free fill w/ re-certifying.
Certs aren't always done "in-house" and will be shipped out soo could add a week or so to your first fill
CO2 tanks need to be certed every 5 years.
No decent shop will fill a tank w/ an expired cert

$78.64 (inc. shipping to me..) for 10# re-certed tank w/ CO2 valve.
BTW. some of their used CO2 cylinders were probably O2. But you can't go the other way..

YOU can see if your local gas supplier will be willing to trade yours for CO2 tanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A used 10lb co2 tank runs 50 to 75 dollars. A new shiny one runs around 150 dollars from what I have seen in my area. You should figure out where you are going to fill a tank first as they may require hydro testing and/or sell you a tank and/or require that you use only tanks they have certified. Places to fill tanks include welding supply companies and fire extinguisher refilling companies plus companies that specialize in selling gasses. The regulator is going to be what sets you back the most probably.
Hey thanks for the reply. The person selling it in my area is selling each for $5 which is def way cheaper than anything I’ve ever seen before. She said her father was a welder and has over 100 co2 bottles from around 2015 that are unused. Since it is that cheap, I may pick it up and either exchange or hydro test in a brewery store or similar place in my area. I’ll def do some research before spending the $5 tho since if I can’t get it filled or replaced it would be a waste. Thanks again!

I would be SURPRISED if swapping valves isn't regulated by specific standards as to torque specs ect.
Generally this is just a sticker change FOR SOME TYPES I believe BUT the stickers aren't exactly cheap.

Certs aren't always done "in-house" and will be shipped out soo could add a week or so to your first fill

BTW. some of their used CO2 cylinders were probably O2. But you can't go the other way..

YOU can see if your local gas supplier will be willing to trade yours for CO2 tanks.
Hey thanks for all this info. Are you saying that the bottles the person is selling is not for co2? They are $5 each which is way cheaper than market value which is why I am considering getting it but also a bit hesitant. I asked the seller and she said “no guarentee” on any of the bottles, just that they have never been used and sitting there collecting dust since 2015. Again I don’t completely buy into what the seller is saying, but she doesn’t have much experience as they were her fathers who is a welder. I def will contact my local brewery to see if they do replacements. Thanks again and I’ll do some more research before I commit to buying it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tanks have to get inspected and stamped every 5 years, otherwise your local gas supplier won’t fill it. You can pay for it to get retested and stamped again. Most places only do exchanges. Check the stamp on them.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts

Hey thanks for all this info. Are you saying that the bottles the person is selling is not for co2? They are $5 each which is way cheaper than market value which is why I am considering getting it but also a bit hesitant. I asked the seller and she said “no guarantee” on any of the bottles, just that they have never been used and sitting there collecting dust since 2015. Again I don’t completely buy into what the seller is saying, but she doesn’t have much experience as they were her fathers who is a welder. I def will contact my local brewery to see if they do replacements. Thanks again and I’ll do some more research before I commit to buying it!
Welders generally have no use for CO2.
Acetylene, Oxygen, Argon, Nitrogen..

Your $5 each can quickly turn into $50 +

As a start have her send a pic of the valve on the tank..
FACE is most important
CO2 has a flat face.
Most other gasses don't

Gets complicated.
EVEN if CO2 will need recerting..

Errr... WHY didn't you post the images here?
Those green tanks are labelled CO2..

Reactions: Rayfishowner

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Tanks have to get inspected and stamped every 5 years, otherwise your local gas supplier won’t fill it. You can pay for it to get retested and stamped again. Most places only do exchanges. Check the stamp on them.
He states they have been around since 2015..Date is stamped 2015 though not sure what the date is for but pretty sure the re-certing is a definite by circumstantial evidence.

If he can find an exchanger they usually don't require a certed tank AFAICT.

At $5 go for it... ;)
Check with your gas suppliers though..

My mistake.. welders use CO2...
Doh on my part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the replys. I’m gonna look in my area to see if they can get me an exchange without a certificate. Appreciate all the advice and experiences. I’m super new to this so sorry for the confusion!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.