The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought this dual stage regulator, and I was planning to experiment with it. It was made for CO2. The situation is that I can't turn the knob. It seems as if only the metering valve on the flow meter controls the flow. The main large knob is set. What would happen if I just remove the flow meter and continued to build it with our traditional fittings and a metering valve? Would the metering valve be able to take the pressure? The regulator's inlet is 4,000 PSI, and the outlet is 100 PSI.

https://www.airgas.com/product/Gas-...sories/Industrial-Gas-Regulators/p/HCL3100090

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Pre set regulator.. And pre-set at 100psi out.
May be possible to "fix" that but ......................

Safest option is 1) correct regulator or 2)put a cheap one stage after it after taking the gauge off. That will drop the pressure from 100psi to whatever you wanty under 100psi.

Reactions: MCSLABS

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pre set regulator.. And pre-set at 100psi out.
May be possible to "fix" that but ......................

Safest option is 1) correct regulator or 2)put a cheap one stage after it after taking the gauge off. That will drop the pressure from 100psi to whatever you wanty under 100psi.
What about a needle valve with a gauge after it? I have a bunch of those needle valves laying around. Or maybe I should just keep the flow meter and add a good metering valve? According to the link, if I understand correctly, the outlet is capable of 100 psi, but factory set to 50 psi. Another problem is that mine is a 3 CD100F, and the one on the link is a 6 CD100F, and the one in the linked picture is a 4 CD100F. So I'm not sure if the website is correct.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
What about a needle valve with a gauge after it? I have a bunch of those needle valves laying around. Or maybe I should just keep the flow meter and add a good metering valve? According to the link, if I understand correctly, it's capable of 100 psi, but factory set to 50 psi.
To be honest the write up is fooling me a bit.. My understanding it has the flow regulator to adjust "amount" not pressure.
but the 2 do sort of go hand in hand...

a needle valve isn't "supposed" to drop outlet pressure "much"..

I'm not really cumfortable to say much more on this one..

It is a high flow regulator for delivering large volumes of gas at pressure.
in other words designed for the upper end not lower end..

Pretty much the opposite of our needs.. Small volumes of gas at pressure..

fins are there to "heat" the regulator so it doesn't ice up delivering large volumes of CO2.........

Does state:
Delivery pressure range: 0-100 PSIG
but:
Flow meter Regulator is specially designed for gaseous withdrawal from carbon dioxide cylinders up to 100 SCFH.
Not sure why the conflate the 2 measurements..
Reference:
https://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/documents/CO2FlowMetersvsRegulators.pdf
a bit morbid I guess...

·
Registered
286 Posts
The flow meter will deliver at 0-100 Standard Cubic Feet Hour. Depending on your situation it may work. If you need less than 1 SCFH I would add an additional needle valve

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If the output is 100 psi, then I could add a miniature regulator on the output side. But then, according to the link you gave me, the flow meters can be recalibrated, and it'll cost a lot, but for my purpose, I don't care about the flow. If I could turn down the psi with an Allen wrench, then it works for me. Who cares of the flow is not calibrated precisely in our purpose, right? The amount of CO2 we need is controlled by the metering valve and observed by the bubble counter, so if it works, then it should be fine right? I'll probably stick a stainless steel Hoke 1666G2YA metering valve on it if I can. It should be able to take the pressure right? Because the 1666G2YA can handle 5,000 psig.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
If the output is 100 psi, then I could add a miniature regulator on the output side. But then, according to the link you gave me, the flow meters can be recalibrated, and it'll cost a lot, but for my purpose, I don't care about the flow. If I could turn down the psi with an Allen wrench, then it works for me. Who cares of the flow is not calibrated precisely in our purpose, right? The amount of CO2 we need is controlled by the metering valve and observed by the bubble counter, so if it works, then it should be fine right? I'll probably stick a stainless steel Hoke 1666G2YA metering valve on it if I can. It should be able to take the pressure right? Because the 1666G2YA can handle 5,000 psig.
Flow meter is pointless..
The threading is not the usual 1/4NPT though..so a straight 1/4npt nipple to a secondary regulator is not straight forward..

actually I take that back. the outlet on the flowmeter is "supposidly" 5/8 x18 ... Confusing mess

Anyways until further notice I'd assume output is 100psi..

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The only reason it says 'factory set, do not touch' is because it's calibrated for the flow meter. That Allen on the front will adjust it up and down like a regular regulator. The problem is that there's no low pressure gauge to know where you're setting it to. You'd have to run a 'T' that you could hook up a second gauge to see the pressure. More work than it's worth really but certainly doable. You could also get a mini regulator and just use that too. It'd be like having a triple stage regulator.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only reason it says 'factory set, do not touch' is because it's calibrated for the flow meter. That Allen on the front will adjust it up and down like a regular regulator. The problem is that there's no low pressure gauge to know where you're setting it to. You'd have to run a 'T' that you could hook up a second gauge to see the pressure. More work than it's worth really but certainly doable. You could also get a mini regulator and just use that too. It'd be like having a triple stage regulator.
I'm going with the 3 way Tee connection. I thought I had some from another post body setup, but I guess not. Haha, Triple stage... I think this will work. Even though it's a few parts more work than others, but it's not that bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.