The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I apologize for my lack of lighting knowledge, I have been a reader on these forums for a while but there is so much information I feel like my brain is on overload and I just don't know what to do.

Right now my plant growth is very very slow, alot of people seam to talk about having to trim their plants once a week or so I NEVER have to trim my plants. I have a 125 gallon, I add co2 with a Rex Griggs reactor to where the drop checker is green (seams to be about 4-5 bbs). I fertalize with floruish comprehensive as directed and I also use DIY osmocote root tabs. My fish are thriving by my plants are lacking. I am not sure if it is possibly the light. Currently I have 2x 36" Aquaticlife dual lamp t5 ho fixtures sitting on the glass (which gets a little clouded) about 2" off the surface. So essentially 2 bulbs run the entire length of the tank at the back. I was thinking about getting 2 more of the exact same fixture to have 4 bulbs run the entire length. Would this be to much light, or maybe if I had these additional fixtures on a timer for a mid day burst?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are 39w x4=156w. If I get the new fixtures it would be 39x8=312w, but I thought the watt per gallon rule was irrelevant now. I am all ears so please let me know if I am incorrect.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Yes they are 39w x4=156w. If I get the new fixtures it would be 39x8=312w, but I thought the watt per gallon rule was irrelevant now. I am all ears so please let me know if I am incorrect.
You are right in that the WPG guideline has become obsolete now.

Take a look at this (very) informative thread written by Hoppy.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

If you are going to use an additional 2 bulb fixture (4 bulbs total), it will put you into high light. With your 2 bulb fixture, you have medium light.

You can go with a midday burst with an additional fixture, and that should provide an extra spurt in growth that you are looking for.

On a side note, once per week trimmings can get troublesome, very quickly. It was a hassle for me, and I was only maintaining an ADA Mini-S. I can't imagine the hassle it would be on a 125 gallon aquarium :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, that is pretty much what I needed to hear.

I would rather have plants that grow and have to trim every week versus plants that don't grow at all. That opinion might change if I get to that point :flick:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.