The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately trying to get my 40b going. I've selected the following list of plants from the Planted Aquarium. Unfortunately, they are sold out of many of the plants that I would like. I have looked on the For Sale forum here but can't find what I need.

3 anubias nana
3 anubias frazeri
3 rodalia rotunda
3 java fern
3 bacopa Carolina
1 banana plant
9 dwarf hair grass (that is all that they have in stock)

This will be a Walsted type, but with a Finnex low light, 40 gal breeder tank, using mineralized dirt and clay, etc. added to the substrate and seeded from my current, non-planted aquarium. I'm not planning on adding any ferts.

Do I need more plants? It seems that they will be so small when they are delivered that they won't cover nearly enough ground.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Yes you do. And unfortunately anubias and standard java fern are not ideal first plants to be adding.

They are simply too slow in terms of growth. In the early stages of a tank you want super fast easy as pie plants. Floaters too. Water sprite water wisteria, ambulia, pennywort, and fast growing stems.

·
Registered
489 Posts
No, I'd throw more in there to utilize those nutrients and avoid massive spikes.
Water lettuce and duck weed are great for this. The more things try to spike, you just end up growing more floaters.
Floaters are VERY useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.