The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these quick disconnects on a Planted Tank members website and asked where he got them. He said they are available from www.aquaticeco.com.

Female with hose nipple:

Male with hose nipple:

They look pretty heavy duty. I was thinking of running them inline with the output of an Eheim canister filter (which will be spit and run two 2 Cerges reactors) like so:

I may add a few of these Two Little Fishies valves:

The alternative of course would be the use of a true union ball valve. Has anyone any experience they'd like to share? I'm wondering if the hose nipple on the Aquaticeco quick disconnect might impede flow. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm... maybe these quick disconnects are not that popular. I guess that the taper present in standard hose barbs that most people tend to use might have the same tendency to cause a decrease in flow:

Anyway, if no one has any experience with the quick disconnects, I may just stick with standard unions and ball valves.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I should also add, I'll be running Hydor heaters inline as well. I guess the reduction in flow really depends on the narrowest point in the tubing. I would think that a number of equally narrow points might have the same effect on flow as having just one.

But, I am going to do my best to eliminate any 90 degree turns in the plumbing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.