The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 5 small altum angelfish coming this week, about 1/2 dollar size. i need to put them in my 29 gallon planted tank for about two weeks while i get my 75 up and running. i have 8 neons, a clown loach and an oto in there now. do you think the altums will eat anything??

thx, john

·
Registered
122 Posts
As macclellan said they will eat what can fit in their mouths. However, do note that mouth size can be deceptive. Altums have a slightly extendible mouth that is bigger than the size the mouth looks when closed. Further, even if they can't actually eat the whole fish, they may just hunt small tetras for sport. I once had 300 cardinal tetras in my tank...i now have 3 left, courtesy of 6 growing altums that were no larger than 3" tip to tip when they went into the tank. Sometimes I found battered bodies of larger cardinals that the altums obviously hunted but couldn't eat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i couldn't wait because the person selling the altums is headed overseas. its really no big deal - i moved the neons out to a temporary 10 gallon tank. as soon as the 75 is ready the altums will have a new home and the neons go back to the 29.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.