The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 10g i've been having a pretty big problem with Cladophora and staghorn algae, despite my tank having good flow and regular Excel dosing. I have a few amano shrimp, and they slow down the growth of the algae, but they don't get rid of it. If i bought a bunch of RCS, would they eat the Cladophora?

What about ghost/glass shrimp?

Or should i just get more Amano shrimp? They are really expensive around here, so depending on which other shrimp do or don't eat clado and staghorn, I could buy any of the three species.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
every time i get an amano, it dies within a week or so, even though i have good water quality and do frequent WC's. oto's, too. I think my LFS may just have week individuals or something, but i haven't had much luck with amanos or otos, so im having some major algae crises.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1. I've heard that nerite snails will eat algae that other animals won't eat. Try those.

2. Orconectes crayfish love to eat all kinds of algae and might eat this. Orconectes are native to cold and hot weather states all over the US. I have some in a park nearby. They are most numerous in slow flowing water which allows lots of algae to grow.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
ghost shrimp you mean? :flick:

haha okay please let me know how they do!
lol.

they did seem to eat it, i saw them picking at it right away on the bottom of the tank. but i cant say if they really did eat it cause i turned the lights off for 2 days and the algae almost dissapeared.

and out of 5 shrimps i only have 2 left. probably due to a bad batch. but these 2 are way more active than the rest. they are happy flying around with their fat stomachs. one has green balls in his.

I may get a few more just to see.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My RCS will not eat either of those algae.

What I know WILL eat cladophora? GOLDFISH. That is all. I routinely pull it all out of my indoor tanks and dump it in my goldfish pond where they feast on it. They can't get it completely off surfaces though, they just mow it down to about 1/8" long where their mouths can no longer nip it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts