The Planted Tank Forum banner

Will painting the sides of my aquarium help betta from seeing his reflection?

6353 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  PK1
Hey guys,

I recently set up a 15g with a single betta.
Plants are jumping back after melting, and everything is coming along nicely.

What I've been noticing is that he has been swimming back and forth taunting the sides of the tank. He doesn't flare, but i know he can see himself. I have some left over Black Acrylic paint that i used to paint the background and was wondering if i should paint the sides too.

Will it look funky? Should I wait and see if it goes away? He is new to the tank, I got him last Sunday night. Will painting the sides even help?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,315 Posts
I think it might actually make it worse.

You are less likely to see a reflection in the glass when you can see through it - if more light is coming from outside then in (think looking inside a dark house when it's bright outside - if the lights are off, you won't see anything, just your reflection. If the lights are on, it's easier to see in).

Once you paint it, there will be no way for it to see through the glass, and while it may not always see a reflection, it will probably see one more often then if the glass was bare.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.