The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to get oto's to take care of my aquarium and help with the green algae in my tank. How many can I get if I can even get any? I wish not to overstock and its stuffed as is according to the 1" per gallon rule, but I know it varies with each fish's bioload

Specs:
46 Gallon Bowlfront w moderate plants
Temperature 76
50 Gallon HOB Fluval Filter
1 15 gallon airstone
Finnex Fugeray Ray 2
Plants: Alternative reineckii 7 stems, 1 large anubias nana and 1 small, 2 java fern windelov, 2 moderate water sprites, 2 short ludwigia plants, some dward hairgrass (barely) 1 moderate amazon sword. 2 bunches of microsword.

Species: 2 Phantom glass catfish, some snails that hitchhiked (will remove over time), 20+ cherry shrimp, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 neon tetras, 15 celestial pearl danios, 2 albino cory cats.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try this website: aqadvisor.com. You enter in your tank size and filter and all the fish you have and it will tell you what your capacity percentage is based on that info. See where you're at then add some otos to the list and it will change your stocking level percentage.
is it accurate? Heard it's iffy here and there accuracy aha

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anything it's a little conservative. It bases it on the full adult size of the fish so that is very helpful. If you have a ton of wood or plants that limit the swimming area you will need to take that in to account on your own but it doesn't sound like you have a ton of stuff in there so that's good.
Just two big driftwoods, tons of swimming room. But will otos take care or help with the green algae on the glass? the bowfront is kinda hard dealing with the algae issue aha

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have green algae and they only do at the best ok. They seem to really love the veg's that I blanch for them more. I don't think 5 would be problem in your tank they add very little bio-load.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Your tank is lightly stocked. Half a dozen Otos should not be a problem.

Your filter is under sized, and the little air pump is not adding much.
I run a filter for a 70 gallon tank on my 46 gallon bow front.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's the green spot algae it's too hard for most fish to get at. That stuff pretty much has to be handled by hand with an algae scraper or razor blade on water change day. They'll eat just about any other algae though.
Thanks any other fish then? Bowfront is hard to scrape on the front

I have green algae and they only do at the best ok. They seem to really love the veg's that I blanch for them more. I don't think 5 would be problem in your tank they add very little bio-load.
^^^^

Your tank is lightly stocked. Half a dozen Otos should not be a problem.

Your filter is under sized, and the little air pump is not adding much.
I run a filter for a 70 gallon tank on my 46 gallon bow front.
Yeah I usually run my gph a little higher but due to the tank having shrimp I don't wish for them to get attached to the sponge filter cover aha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts