The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im setting up a used 55 gallon I bought cheap. I have an oversized counter top piece made of 1/2 plywood I got free.

My problem is that my counter top that I want to place my tank on has bowed slightly. So there is a 1/16 inch gap between the bottom of my tank and the top of the counter top.

Do you think the glass will bow slightly when its full to compensate or do you think I will have a problem if I use it?

I certainly dont want a mess.

Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Take it outside on a lawn or something, fill it up, and find out. Done and done. No one here knows your tank so you have to do try it out.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A piece of foam under the tank will even it out. The glass won't bow, no. It will probably hold, but you really shouldnt do it as it's asking for trouble. I have a 55 on a shelf and I can see clear under the middle of the tank. I've got to get around to taking it down. I bet if it didn't have the trim it would be leaking by now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A piece of foam under the tank will even it out. The glass won't bow, no. It will probably hold, but you really shouldnt do it as it's asking for trouble. I have a 55 on a shelf and I can see clear under the middle of the tank. I've got to get around to taking it down. I bet if it didn't have the trim it would be leaking by now.
Thanks. Foam sounds like it would work. I tried some thick cardboard but it didnt seem like it was going to work.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Not good when the shelf bows. Tanks are made to be supported along their full length. With that small a bow, try the Styrofoam, that is what I use.
Another option is to turn the plywood upside down. Then the bow would be a crown, and I'll bet that would flatten out under the weight of the tank.
Another option is to put more brackets under the shelf so it is supported in the middle.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
If you are talking about the bottom of the tank bowing, which some here don't seem to catch, then no, it will not bow, or if it does, it will rip the silicone bond and create a wet disaster.

Never ever put a 55 gal tank on a too thin piece of bowing plywood. Don't. You can do/try that sort of thing with a 10 gal tank.

Get a proper stand, or reinforce what you have. 2x4's are cheap, and there is always someone around who has woodworking skills and no project to apply them to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts