The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
my 60gal tank had these odd glass pieces. when i got the lily pipes, they are in the way, so i took off the glass piece. they are held on to the top of the tank tank with silicone and to my knowledge, they seem to be acting like a structural piece. here are some pictures... let me know if my tank be ok without them.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I've seen a few tanks like this. It is a support brace or it could also be used as a light shelf. With the black boarder, it hides everything nicely. I don't think you will have a problem removing it, but I would keep a close eye on the bowing of the front and back pain of glass. You could also drill a hole for the lily pipe and replace it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a few tanks like this. It is a support brace or it could also be used as a light shelf. With the black boarder, it hides everything nicely. I don't think you will have a problem removing it, but I would keep a close eye on the bowing of the front and back pain of glass. You could also drill a hole for the lily pipe and replace it?

i was thinking about drilling a hole into the glass, but i don't have the tools to do it. i believe you need a diamond drill bit or something like that. at the moment, i'm starting the tank with dry start method so i have not fill the tank with water yet. if it is a support for bowing of the glass, i could fit a acrylic piece in there.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
i was thinking about drilling a hole into the glass, but i don't have the tools to do it. i believe you need a diamond drill bit or something like that. at the moment, i'm starting the tank with dry start method so i have not fill the tank with water yet. if it is a support for bowing of the glass, i could fit a acrylic piece in there.
That would work too. You could also go to a glass shop and have them drill it for you. just mark the area you need drilled.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe you could contact the dude you bought it from and ask him if he put the pieces in and if so, what they are for? Might save you come money/hassle if you can get a hold of him.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just went on and drill a hole and glue it back on using aquarium silicone. so it's all good now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts