The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally this is what I think you should do. Cut a few pieces of carrot and put it in the tank overnight then remove it in the morning. The carrots will be completely covered with snails. Base on my experience that is the safest way. You can use cuccumber, or zuchini too but don't forget to microwave it for 10sec or lightly boiled it first. I got rid of snail infestation in about a week, and my shrimp loves the veggie treats too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya been putting blanched cucumber in my 60 gal and only see a few snails here and there.got worried about my 60gal because i let my 46gal bow front go and did not keep it upkept and now it is just invested with snails.just want my nice 60gal in check with snails and just wanted to disinfect the moss before i put it back on a rock in the tank

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can also put a male Beta in the tank. They loooooooooveeeeeee snails. I keep a Beta in mine 100% of the time.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Personally this is what I think you should do. Cut a few pieces of carrot and put it in the tank overnight then remove it in the morning. The carrots will be completely covered with snails. Base on my experience that is the safest way. You can use cuccumber, or zuchini too but don't forget to microwave it for 10sec or lightly boiled it first. I got rid of snail infestation in about a week, and my shrimp loves the veggie treats too.
Snail eggs tend to be the bigger problem with new plants. Existing snails are usually pretty easy to remove, but you'll never know if you got rid of the eggs.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I had a snail infestation in my 30g tank a while ago, all i did was reduce how much i fed the fish by a little bit and the snails cleared themselves up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.