The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn this is hard, my shrimps are coming in tomrrow the only tank i have is a 10 gallon, then ill be getting a 20 gallon on friday, i wanna turn the 10gal tank into a all shrimp tank, and take out the eco complete and add sand
and alot of rocks and wood

but one bag of eco wont be able to fill up a 20 gallon, so im plannin on make a seperator for the substrates and plant all my other plants in in the 20

this is way to much work

·
Registered
845 Posts
Guppies are really hardy fish....why don't you keep them in a container large enough to hold them til friday when your 20g comes in? Then take out the eco now and get that 10g ready for your shrimp. Make sure you have a cycled filter for the shrimp tank or you're gonna have deaths due to ammonia spike.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Depending on how many guppies you have....try a bucket? But keep the temp warm enough for them til your 20 is ready to house them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes...20g for shrimp would be nice. But where are you going to house the shrimp til then? Unless you have some sort of plastic divider to use for the 10g.....divide the 10g until you get the 20g ready for the fish or shrimp.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have the guppies in a big red bucket, lol plus im not even completely sure im getting the 20 gallon
=/

probably i should jus sell the guppies and keep a couple males

·
Registered
845 Posts
In the beginning of keeping a small group of cherries (10-20), babies may difficult to spot until they reach a little under the size of a brine shrimp. You start to see them on the glass, plants etc. The more you have, the easier it is to spot them. Imagine when they are first "hatched", the are about the size of baby brine shrimp(somewhat more larger though). So see how difficult it would be to spot one right off the bat? They make easy food for fish. Now if you provide enough plant coverage (hiding spots) there will be survivors, if kept with a few fish and I mean few. Feed the fish well and they won't be so readily to go for them.....maybe. It really all depends on your fish. I had 3 dwarf puffers in with my shrimp (55g), but I have tons and I mean tons of cherries in there. Yeah they munched on babies, but the population of cherries was still huge. But I had to take them out eventually because they started pegging off my adult shrimp!:icon_eek:

So you take your chances when you keep your shrimp with fish. Sounds like you have a decision to make. I think 3 guppies may be too many for a 10g with shrimp. If it was me, I would sell your guppies and make a good home for the shrimp. Then if you do get the 20g, set it up for either new fish or shrimp. :smile:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i really jus want one tank, lol i only 16 and i got school and "other things" you know what i mean besides taking care of so much tanks

so ill see if i get the 20 gallon first

if i do gethe 30gallon, ill put everything in the 30* gallon, and sell the guppies and put my cousins flowerhorn in the 10 gallon..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've had my RCS in a tank with 7 male Guppies and they still breed very nicely. Sure a handful of shrimp have been eaten but nothing that will demolish a population.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I've had first hand experience with Endler's Fry in a tank with adolescent CRS and noticed that the Fry tirelessly pick at anything and everything in the tank hoping it's edible, so while they didn't actually eat the CRS, they harassed them so often that the CRS would stay in hiding most of the time, thus limiting their ability to forage for food. So if your tank is very densely planted and/or has nooks and crannies from wood or rock that give the CRS plenty of places to relax and find food without constant Fry harassment, then you can mix them together. But in an otherwise open area tank, your often terrorized CRS may not develop properly and maybe lose a few limbs along the way if the Fry can get at them too easily. Let me add that Fry like to hide in the same nooks and crannies CRS will, especially inside plant cover, however when Fry are in an enclosed space they tend to simply hover there quietly instead of actively probing for food.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.