The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading that java fern doesn't like to have its roots burried. Does it grow with them fully exposed? I'm thinking a bit of screen with some java fern taking up part of the space in the tank could look very nice and allow the java to do well if I'm understanding its needs correctly.

think of it as a java fern wall vs. moss wall.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think java ferns will take root on anything. I had tied some plantlets to a resin rock ornament in my goldfish tank, 0.5 watts/gal, no ferts and they manage to grow roots all over the surface of the ornament and have roots growing into crevises on the face of the rock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I remember reading that java fern doesn't like to have its roots burried. Does it grow with them fully exposed? I'm thinking a bit of screen with some java fern taking up part of the space in the tank could look very nice and allow the java to do well if I'm understanding its needs correctly.

think of it as a java fern wall vs. moss wall.
Java Ferns does fine with their roots buried. Just never bury the RHIZOMES. They do take forever to root though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.