The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up a new planted tank. I have a coralife 30" 1x65W CF fixture with adjustable mounting legs on a 29 gallon tank. This should give me around 2.2 wpg of light. Being new to planted tanks, will I need to have some sort of Co2 Injection with this level of light? :confused: Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I only have 36 t5 watts currently turned on over my 29 and I can grow high light plants just fine (I have a second fixture that I don't even turn on anymore). I do inject C02 and would recommend that you do as well. DIY co2 is very easy and cheap so there really is no reason not to give it a try. Please remember that the watts per gallon only applies to t12 fluorescent bulbs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run the same sized tank, same wattage of CF, and my answer would be yes given your likely level of light. Keep in mind that it's cheaper to change the fixture than add compressed CO2. On the other hand, compressed CO2 is some fun stuff to play with; you'll get far healthier plants with it.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The cheapest way to lower the light intensity with a given fixture is to suspend it higher above the tank. Hang it from bent conduit supports, and you can run anything from low light to high light - same fixture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read a lot about DIY Co2 with 2 liter bottles etc. I was thinking about the Hagan Plant Grow Ladder but I have seen some mixed reviews on it. I did not know that the WPG rule only applied to T12's that's some very useful information. Is there another method of determining light output? My Fixture is about 6" above the tank rim. Would this allow me to grow High Light plants? Or will I still need to stick to Moderate light plants?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have 36 t5 watts currently turned on over my 29 and I can grow high light plants just fine (I have a second fixture that I don't even turn on anymore). I do inject C02 and would recommend that you do as well. DIY co2 is very easy and cheap so there really is no reason not to give it a try. Please remember that the watts per gallon only applies to t12 fluorescent bulbs.
I have built my first DIY co2 system with a DIY bubble counter. Just testing it on a small 10 gal right now I am getting about 1 bubble every 3 seconds, using a 3 liter cranberry juice bottle. I have 2 bottles. Should I use both of them at the same time? Can easily drop a t-connector in and have both feeding it. I am seeing that there are some using as many as 3-4 bottles of DIY Co2 on a tank this size. I would think that may be a bit overkill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.