The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 40b and last year put a planted plus over it. I keep the lights on for about six hours a day and so far am having slow, but steady growth. I add some ferts as I remember and 3 ml of excel.

Will I need additional lighting to prevent algae growth and keep everything in balance or will it suffice to just leave the light on for maybe another two hours.

To be honest, I'm looking at adding the 27/7 version of the planted plus but my wallet hates the idea and I have to admit that the one fixture, while dim in some spots, does look fine. My main concern is algae growth and keeping everything in balance.

Also the additional money can go to a co2 setup and quality in that area.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Hi psych,

No, you do not need to add additional light to prevent algae. You plants will likely grow more quickly however and you will probably need to add more fertilizer (or be more consistent) than you have been in the past to avoid deficiency issues.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
IMO the 24/7 is the worst thing to come along recently.
Plants NEED sleep just as much as you do so having light on 24hrs a day is
very counterproductive to healthy plants. The only break they get is when the light
level drops below that which would do them any good.
If you don't maintain a consistent dosing routine deficiencies will show quicker if
you increase the light.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you both for your responses. I'm aware I need to be more consistent with my dosing. Right now I'm dosing full EI every other day or so, as I remember, because I don't have pressurized CO2.

Raymond S, I appreciate those thoughts about the 24/7 in particular. Basic biology in 7th grade taught me plants need an "off" cycle, so to speak, but I'm not aware enough of the specifics to know if a shortened cycle would do them harm. Am I right in assuming you feel the Planted+ would be adequate with going pressurized?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I've been off the forum for close to 9-10 months for medical reasons and not
being in daily contact has cost me some of my memorized info. I'd say that about
45 PAR would be the bottom of what I'd call adequate. But really it would go
by the type of plants mostly. 45 PAR isn't high enough(IMO) even along/w the
pressurized for very demanding plants such as Rotala Butterfly. So it's one of those
look up the PAR rating for that light at the depth of the tank it's in(from the sub)
and just stay away from the really demanding plants and you should be OK as
long as the PAR is 45 or better. The biggest issue your likely to have is for
example if the fixture is center of the 18" then along the front and back edges
the light level is going to be not enough for like red plants.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you both for your responses. I'm aware I need to be more consistent with my dosing. Right now I'm dosing full EI every other day or so, as I remember, because I don't have pressurized CO2.

Raymond S, I appreciate those thoughts about the 24/7 in particular. Basic biology in 7th grade taught me plants need an "off" cycle, so to speak, but I'm not aware enough of the specifics to know if a shortened cycle would do them harm. Am I right in assuming you feel the Planted+ would be adequate with going pressurized?
I'm running a 24/7 with co2 in my 75g. My plants grow like crazy.

Yes the light is on 24/7 but in the wee hours of the night there is hardly any light.

Just sayin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.