The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ya guys and gals. Last night I noticed that my shrimp where running all over the place and I think 'mounting' the female I have in the tank. This morning when I woke up I found one dead shrimp in the tank on the bottom and what might be eggs in the female (see pictures below). Sorry I couldn't get a better shot I only had a +4 lenses handy to use for a close up shot.

So I guess the question would be are those actual shrimp eggs? And if they are, what precautions should I take? Like when I change the water and fretting the plants? And how long should I expect before I have a bunch of little shrimp running around?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What are shrip? :biggrin:

But that is an Amano shrimp. Their larva require brackish water to survive, so unless you somehow manage to transfer them to a brackish water tank then no you won't have babies.

As for precautions, you don't really need to take any.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are shrip? :biggrin:

But that is an Amano shrimp. Their larva require brackish water to survive, so unless you somehow manage to transfer them to a brackish water tank then no you won't have babies.

As for precautions, you don't really need to take any.
Yeah I fixed the spelling, I'm still waking up here.

~cries~ And here I wanted baby shrimp. And there is no way I can add salt to make it a brackish tank because of the other fish I have.

EDIT: wait a second, not to get my hopes up, but what if I add freshwater aquarium salt?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
you can read up on Amano shrimp breeding on Google, set up another brackish tank, but I know successfully bringing up the young is a rare occurrence in the world of aquarium raised Amano shrimps unfortunately. maybe it's worth the challenge?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is vary disheartening but at the same time I guess it's almost time to get a 2nd tank for things like this.

What are some freshwater shrimp that will breed like GeToChKn is suggesting?

And thanks to all of you for getting back to me on this.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
They shouldn't be. There might be a bit of competition for food every now and then, but they should be okay together.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Get a rubbermaid container, place the female in it when she's 'bout to pop the babies out with an air stone, and wait. When they hatch, add the salt. Not aquarium salt. Marine salt.
I'd save my time and money, honestly. If you read the thread that was linked earlier, james has been working on rearing amano shrimp for some time and only now has a few larvae that MAY be almost ready to morph into adult form shrimp.

If you just want to see tiny shrimp about, RCS are easy and cheap. They won't bother the amanos or vice versa. However, you wrote that you have fish in the tank, so pretty much no matter what kind of shrimp you have you won't wind up with baby shrimp unless there are a lot of hiding places and you start with a pretty healthy population. Anything but otos will happily eat baby shrimp.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'd save my time and money, honestly. If you read the thread that was linked earlier, james has been working on rearing amano shrimp for some time and only now has a few larvae that MAY be almost ready to morph into adult form shrimp.

If you just want to see tiny shrimp about, RCS are easy and cheap. They won't bother the amanos or vice versa. However, you wrote that you have fish in the tank, so pretty much no matter what kind of shrimp you have you won't wind up with baby shrimp unless there are a lot of hiding places and you start with a pretty healthy population. Anything but otos will happily eat baby shrimp.
I just setup a tank divider in my tank for this. My RCS are getting ready to drop any day and in the past few days, I've found a few dead RCS with a dwarf frog eating one. Granted, they could have died, they were big when I got them from the LFS and could have been old, but if my frogs are getting a taste for shrimp, that's not cool. I also have some neon's in the tank as well and they are on the frog/neon side.

The divider I got does have very small holes in it to allow filtered water to go back and forth between sides and granted a baby may wonder over, but thats the risk I'll take I guess. It should for the most part keep them apart and even after a week or two in size they shouldn't be able to fit through the holes.

·
Banned
943 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I'm looking at getting some CRS in the next two weeks, I'm also going to replant my tank was looking for suggestions in the aqua scape section. At least I know a lot more about amano shrimp (not shrip ^_^). Do males die off when they breed?

·
Banned
943 Posts
If you want to keep shrimp that breed easy and are still fun get some cherry shrimp or fire red shrimp (cherry shrimp with better red coloing). CRS are a bit harder to keep and for me so far, even harder to breed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts