The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a thin glass lid...1/8th to 1/4 inch reduce the amount of light that my T5HO are putting out?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Definitely.

Thickness isn't really relevant, the issue is surface reflection. A good rule of thumb is 10% loss for spotless glass under ideal conditions. In practice it'll be a bit higher. Glass is better than plexiglass, by the way.

Cheers!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great thanks! Gonna try without glass to see how things go....anyone find they have to top up water level before the water chanGE?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Definitely.

Thickness isn't really relevant, the issue is surface reflection. A good rule of thumb is 10% loss for spotless glass under ideal conditions. In practice it'll be a bit higher. Glass is better than plexiglass, by the way.

Cheers!
Plexi reduces light less than glass about 15% to 20%. Plexi is clear and glass is colored.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Its the lead present in most glasses that causes some of that too. But I could see plexi being more reflective

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know how plexi compares to glass in terms of reflectivity (probably comparable). Both glass and plexi absorb a negligible amount of light so any difference in their "clearness" is hardly worth worrying about. I just meant that plexi scratches easily and is harder to clean, hence my preference for glass.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
thats great thanks! Gonna try without glass to see how things go....anyone find they have to top up water level before the water chanGE?
Not having a cover on the tank definitely increases your water evaporation rate. I never had to add additional water between my weekly water changes on my 75, but now that I have an open top tank, I always add a 5 gallon jug midweek.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
i have to add water to the 55 all the time, no top. i also run a dehumidifier in the basement where the tank is b/c it does cause the moisture to go up.

on the flip side, i hated cleaning the glass of algae when i had a lid on my cichlid tank and am much happier topping off the tank every week or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts