The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 5 Ghost shrimp to my 75g with 6 Angels a few months ago. After a few days I only saw one. I figured the others had been eaten. I then added 3 - 4 1" plus Amano's a few weeks ago and never saw them again. Now I see the Ghost shrimp all the time and they've gotten pretty big, but I haven't seen a single Amano. I know they're good at hiding and have heard the stories about them escaping, but I've checked all around the area, no carcasses. Also the Amano's in my other 4 tanks haven't left the tank although I don't see the 2 I added to the 46g either. It has 1 Angel. In my 10g I left 5 to grow more and up until a few days ago I thought 3 had vanished until late one night all 5 were out eating.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Some ghost shrimp aren't really ghost shrimp but juveniles of a type of macro shrimp that gets very large and carnivorous. I know a few people on this forum keep a few but I can't remember the actual name of the shrimp.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The extremely aggressive ones are called red claw macro shrimp. Basically, if your ghost shrimp has claws that go beyond the tiny feeder claws, they could potentially be aggressive, and if they have the giant lobster claws that male red claw macros get, they almost surely will be.

That said, in a tank with 6 angels, I'd look more toward the angels, a carnivorous, predatory fish, as shrimp eaters than the ghost shrimp.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure they're ghost shrimp and I've seen the Amano's swim right in front of the pack of Angels and they had no interest. The Amano's were a decent size. They were definately what I thought to be far too large for the Angels. They were as big as the Black Neons in the tank. Maybe they're just hiding. I plan to add four more when the four reach 2" or more in size.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After searching the tank all day today and watching the Ghost shrimp have a standoff with my Angel fish at feeding time with no sign of Amano's I decided to get my hands wet and look for them. I lifted up a large piece of driftwood on the left side of the tank and was happy to find all 4 Amano shrimp under the wood. Hopefully as they get larger and have 5 more added to the tank they will become more social.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.