The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Flame moss that I attached to driftwood with cotton thread. I tried to cover the driftwood as evenly as possible but figured eventually it will all grow in. As far as I can tell, the Flame Moss seems to only grow up (vertically) and not spread. I've had the moss for 3 months now; is anyone more familiar with the way it grows? I'm wondering if I need to take out the driftwood and cover up the bare spots with more Flame Moss.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Flame moss will mostly grow up until it gets to a height of approx 2 1/2". At about that point it will start filling in at the bottom of each stalk. I've had several pieces of driftwood that at first looked sparse but after ignoring it for awhile it became so dense I had to pull a good deal of or pull it all off and start the piece over again. Just be a little patient and I think you will notice it start to fill in. Flame moss grows slow but it's worth the wait.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
based on my experience with Xmas moss I have observed that;

-moss takes a good 2 Months to simply acclimate to a new tank,
so don't expect much growth and spreading during this period.

-mature moss will grow back faster if you trim it back with a scissor,
when compared to thinning it by simply pulling some of it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.