The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of my 8 or so berried cherries and fire reds, one doesn't have her eggs anymore. Its been about 28 days, and the last 4 days she had a saddle develop and now the eggs are gone, so I assume, she carried them full term and hatched them. She is an almost solid dark red, almost solid red legs too, so a fairly high grade fire red but not quite painted. I've been looking and looking for babies but its fairly planted and using a magnifying glass only works for about the first 2 inches into the tank or so its hard to see. I noticed 1 small almost solid red thing on a leaf that was long shaped like a shrimp, almost look like it had the "V" tail as well. I know a lot of cherry shrimp will give sort of clear babies at the start, I got 1 berried cherry when I got them and had 2 clear babies that made it, but would a decent quality fire red give off a red baby right off the start or was it just some other weird bug I found in there.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The saddle should disappear as soon as you see the eggs (or may have another saddle present near the end).

And no, I would say don't judge on how the baby is going to look like when it's older by the color it has now. Especially when it comes to male and female coloration, as you probably know, the females are always darker than the males.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The saddle should disappear as soon as you see the eggs (or may have another saddle present near the end).

And no, I would say don't judge on how the baby is going to look like when it's older by the color it has now. Especially when it comes to male and female coloration, as you probably know, the females are always darker than the males.
This one was berried for about 28days, got a saddled right near the end before I didn't see the eggs anymore. Just most things I've read is that cherries end up clear after being born for the most part but this little thing I saw was solid red so I was just curious if a decent grade fire red would give off solid red babies at birth or if I just saw something else in there.

It's amazing the life you see in your tank with a magnifying glass starring for 20mins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.